*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK3 heavy shock absorbers from different vehicle

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK3 heavy shock absorbers from different vehicle

Postby axxez » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi there!
On my MK3 100L the rear shock-absorbers are not working very good. When I bought the van I had air-compressor absorbers from Monroe, but they where old and the rubber had cracks. Though they worked perfectly. I changed them to stock heavy duty as I am travelling right now, so not to have problems with the old parts. I destroyed 2 pairs of rear shocks during the trip (now 20.000km more or less bad roads) and am at the moment having GAZ Gazelle shocks in the rear. Let's say it like that: They are the minimum you should have on a Transit 100L... To be honest: the car has some load on the very high roof and lot's of load on the rear axle, probably overloaded right now but don't know. So I am searching for really good shocks, maybe from another car. Any suggestion what could fit (Iveco, MB 508, Sprinter,..)? Did anyone try out?
Cheers!
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: MK3 heavy shock absorbers from different vehicle

Postby ceurieusneus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:22 pm

Just bump this tread back to the top...
Nobody who can help our friend with this problem... ???

Alex, could it be that due to the reinforcing off the back springs, before you left, the body now has a higher position to the back axle.
Maybe the shock absorber should be a bit longer.
How did you measure the replacements before you started?
Good luck
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks! Yes, it is a bit higher, but not too much. I think still in the range of standard shocks. Had OME directly after the lift, which are longer but didn't help. The ride is far from stable but handleable, at least compared to the airshocks. Also walking inside the car makes it move a lot. I think it is just too heavy and too high for standard and standard heavy duty shocks for Transit.
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:45 am

"Normal" (now)... Your van stands a bit higher, due to the extra leaf spring.
What happen if in the rough country, where you are driving in now, the back wheel coms from the ground?
What happen when the top loaded van is (wageling?) bouncing, one side to the other?
At that moment the shock absorber will probably be extended to, or over, his maximum lenght.
(bump) :)
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:30 pm

After searching for a while I found Sachs 125443 from MAN L2000 rear axle (with air-suspension), which are very near in length to the Transit ones (371mm / 594mm). Would need some adjustment on the rubber and screws, but might be possible. Only question is if they create a far too hard ride, as they are for 7,5to vehicles and Transit shocks are probably for up to 3,5to. Though heavy duty Transit shocks didn't do the job for me and I though about going for a double-shock system. With my simple calculation that would be kind of the same (2 x 3,5to / 1 x 7to)..
Any ideas on that thought?

@ceurieusneus:
Bouncing was not that bad, usually wheels stayed on the ground. Only a few times I had one wheel in the air, which was always on the front axle and at extremely low speed. For serious and fast offroad use cars get upgraded with rebound straps, but I am not drivng rallye xD Anyway, length is important with the shocks, but the car is not soo much lifted in the rear.
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Just ordered for a try, let's see if they will be nice for my car. Right now with OME shocks in good condition the car starts to swing a bit when standing at a signal light and other cars are passing by... I hope this will be solved and still driveable!
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:53 am

So lets see if they will work. On the weekend I changed the shells on the MAN from 14mm to none (upper part) and 12mm (lower part) from old Transit shocks. How did I do that? Basically by heating the shells with a gas blowpipe, or better said: setting them on fire XD Not too good for the rubber, but I think it shouldn't be damaged too much, mostly on the outer part.

Old Transit shocks and MAN L2000 (for vehicle with air-suspension); Transit normal / MAN normal / Transit extended / MAN extended

Original MAN L2000 left and modified MAN L2000 right

Upper part original MAN left and modified right

Lower part original MAN left and modified right

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Thinking about longer bumpstops right now.. There are different versions by Ford, I got the 54mm I guess. Still that's not enough, so probably it's a good idea to modify the mount. The main problem could be that the shocks are too long, so they will cut through. Anyway my car is lifted a bit but I will measure myself to be sure.

Those are different bump stops from Ford:

http://www.fordopedia.org/parts-catalog ... -mk3/C2.11

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:11 pm

A small update. Actually, the car drives quiet nice now and after the lift with one additional leaf it is not cutting through and destroying the shocks in daily street use. For rough roads and traveling I'd definitely modify the seating. So what I did those days is getting a brand new pair of SACHS front shocks, which are also from a MAN 7,5to vehicle (but different to the rear shocks).
Those fit quiet good, they are a bit longer but compress to the same length. The lower part has different diameter: 20mm to original 13mm. So after initially failing on creating a shell myself, I just bought some that work good. Also it is necessary to get longer screws. Original are 12 or 13cms, 14cm would do but I got 15cm screws now. The screw-rating / strength is 10.9 so don't just use any screw for that purpose! The shocks are directly held by the screw, so better no compromises. On the upper part it is necessary to destroy the original parts and drill them through. This results in problems while installing the shocks: you will have to hold them, so they don't turn while tightening. After this upgrade the car drives like a formular1-machine! Quiet stiff, but nice cornering ;-)

See the pics below, but now I am using this forum for pics instead of photofucked. Don't know what is wrong with this, some images are flipped... Just right-click / open them in a new tab instead of directly clicking on them and you won't have that stupid problem.. Or maybe it's just my browser?
Now the pics:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by axxez on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:13 pm

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:18 pm

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Good job, glad you got it sorted and useful info for others, thanks for the update :)
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby axxez » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:00 am

But keep in mind: it's not long-term tested yet ;-)
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:34 am

I remember whe we ran a fleet of mk3s their was a recall on the front shocker mountings the body was splitting and cracking I think on the recall they drilled two or three holes in the body and bolted the two skins of thr mounting together l can remember ten of the independent front surspention vans had this mod done along with my own mk3 campervan I’m not sure if any of the Leif spring vans had it done but with you putting more shock loads into the van it maybe worth looking at this modification
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits