*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My Rusty 20 year old Trannie.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

My Rusty 20 year old Trannie.

Postby sportscott » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:39 pm

I drove over a small wall and damaged my Van and am now in the process of fixing it having seen some of the rust on other peoples Vans would like to show mine off. It actually isn't too bad but bought a plasma cutter and got a bit carried away :D .
Made some progress and will post some more pics tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit the everyday mans van....
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: My Rusty 20 year old Trannie.

Postby sportscott » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:49 pm

So far I am to this stage, the Black sill was repair panel that went right up the B post and the whole front arch, I don't like cutting out what's more than necessary as it never looks good as the original, even it you can't see it, I just take what I need from the repair Panel. I don't know who makes the sill and wheel arch panel but it fits perfectly The back lower quarter I took from a small piece from a whole back wing, and the sill under the sliding door was actually too short but I had one from a repair I done last year when I drove into a fence and damaged the side door and sill :? and only used the middle so had one end I could yuse to extend. The reason I don't use whole repair panels is because half time they don't fit and always leaves me some scope for future repairs. I can't really say I am a good welder and some of my joins are porous but will wax the back of the with Tectyl ML which is a creeping wax and hopefully seal it all up. When I got my Van 9 years ago I waxed all the inside of the chassis and outriggers and it has helped in slowing down the rot. My tailgate was taken from my old 91 mk3 and it's not perfect but not bad for it's age and was waxed from new. Noticed from the picture that the sill under the side door does'nt look even and will tap it down with a bit of wood and hammer, the sill panels are crap too short and bent like a banana, but at a cost of a fiver, what do expect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby derv23 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:43 pm

Getting there :) .
I'm rained off at present .
Oh for a garage/workshop. I'd have mine done by now.
Keep the updates coming.
MK5 Tourneo.
derv23
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Been at it all day and not really a lot to show for it, I have repaired the front inner wheel arch to half way with the recess and made the repair piece for the second half but although I've got enough indoor space lack lighting. Again not too rotten but labour intensive to repair. Not enough rot to warrant ripping the whole lower outer arch and wing off to replace it, although it would probably be quicker.
Got the hang of welding :D my mistake was fiddling with the voltage and wire speed together, watched a YT video by welding fever "how to dial in your Mig" Now sorted. :D
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby RustWidow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 pm

You're doing well, keep at it :) you know it will be worth it in the end
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sportscott » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 pm

RustWidow wrote:You're doing well, keep at it :) you know it will be worth it in the end

I know I am doing it for me not for sale, and my 15 year old son keeps asking me if he can have it when he's got his driving licence :D
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby RustWidow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:02 pm

Excellent, you also have a motive and encouragement! :)
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sportscott » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 pm

RustWidow wrote:Excellent, you also have a motive and encouragement! :)

Exactly, would hate to think of him to$$ing himself off about an Audi or BMW :D You get more Jack and Danny in a Van :wink:
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:55 pm

The end is in sight, to be honest I was getting a bit sick of it all, All I need do now is put in some sealer around the panel joints and finish the rear lower quarter panel, I've run out of filler but can do that with side door on and it's all behind the plastic bumber cap, plus a little bit of touching up around the filler cap and a couple of other places but nothing major for now. I've seen another rot spot under the drivers door at the bottom of the B post, nothing major that a patch wouldn't sort out but I will do that next year and do it all the sill and wheel arch, might rip it all off wing included as would rather paint than spend weeks welding:wink:
A tip I would give anybody if you are going to plug weld the sills, do it from the back, I figured it out after doing the sill under the side door :( it will look much nicer.
The Job is not perfect, but needed to keep telling myself it's a 20 year old Transit ffs :!: But I don't think the rust will bother me again for few years on the nearside. I used heavily zinced steel for the inner sill valance, copius amounts of Tectyl ML 550 and two componet epoxy anti corrosion primer, but will be in Norway all winter so will see how it copes with the salt.
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Another bad spot that I didn't show before, the bottom of the side door step. It looked perfect, could see no rot, but along the edge where it joined the valance quickly revealed itself after a few pokes with a screwdiver and bottom plate was as thin as tinfoil but not perforated.
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby RustWidow » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Good going
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sportscott » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 pm

RustWidow wrote:Good going

Thanks, it was a lot of work, funny enough I can't really see what I've done, probably a good thing, the sliding door sill I suggested doing it from the inside because as you see it wasn't sitting right and didn't think to look first and the visible side stays nice and even. I welded the top of the sill then beat it up level with the valance. I sand blasted what I could then used rust converter and sprayed that with two part epoxy, the little bit of filler I did use about 3 ounces total put on top of the primer and primed again., then waxed the back. I put a patch under the sliding door rail 9 years ago with flux core wire a bit of filler and waxed the back of it and still no rust has come through. the left side back arch I repaired a couple of years ago and didn't wax that and I can see the rust will be coming through. Definately worth waxing the back of your repairs.It didn't really need so much work as could have got away with a patch here and a patch there but it wouldn't have gotten any better. I'm absolutely beat spent more than a month at it and only finished today and took 3 weeks off work to do it that's now 5 :)
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits