*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Modding headlight idea, would it be possible and legal?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Modding headlight idea, would it be possible and legal?

Postby eresseraca » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:46 pm

I was looking for some spare parts on ebay and happened to browse past a mk5 headlight, and an idea came up.

Haven't opened a light up myself but from the looks of it, there's kind of a bezel that's chrome facing outwards and that doesn't seem to have much effect on how the bulbs beam is reflected, as it's pointed directly outwards and sits close to the lens. If looking for the outside doesn't distort the view.

So thought it would look nice, a little twist without having too much of a "tuning look" with angel or evil eye lids (not judging, just isn't my kinda thing). But to you guys who have opened headlights up, how fiddly is it. Heatgun enough to crack them open and how risky (leaks in the future etc.)..

Do you think painting the bezel area dark grey/black (as per photoshopped pics attached) would be a legal mod, as it doesn't seem to reflect light or change the beam in any way?

headlight00.jpg

headlight01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eresseraca

Re: Modding headlight idea, would it be possible and legal?

Postby ned » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:23 pm

As long as you don't paint the silver bit that reflects the light then I can't see it being a problem, its a common mod on the mk7 and my mk6 is black anyway.

Search split headlight club, shows how to open and reseal the lights, OK its mk7 but the same principal I would have thought. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:38 am

Patience and a blunt knife gets the lens off the casing.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby eresseraca » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks guys!

At some point a day or two off, a blunt knife, masking tape, black gloss paint and patience it is then :mrgreen:
eresseraca

Postby ned » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:09 pm

I used a heat gun on my mk6 headlights to soften the plastic and sealant, I might paint my black bits blue to match the van :) N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby eresseraca » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Yeah I read around a bit today and the heatgun seems to be a popular addition to the toolkit... have to check tough wheter the lenses are glass o plastic. Don't want those to crack or melt from the heat. But at using the gun at lower heat might be safe enough.

When putting them back together, just scrape off all the sealant and use sikaflex or similar to seal them again?
eresseraca

Postby ned » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:31 pm

Yeah use the heat gun on the low setting untill its soft then prise the lens off a little at a time working around the light, silkoflex is the popular choice on here, I used clear silicon as I will be opening mine up again soon. N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Rethay » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:07 am

Just my two cents...

It's nice that you want to do things to your car - but do the things you want to do, and don't limit what you do to what others think looks cool/good/etc.

Black bezels on the headlights (but leave the reflectors silver) is a great mod and changes the look of the car for the better, IMO.

Don't tint the taillights - it's illegal, and potentially dangerous if you tint them too far. If you MUST tint them, limit it to one coat just to take the shine off the clear lens - this way, the indicators and brake and tail lights should still work as normal..
Rethay

Postby eresseraca » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:57 am

Decided not to do it after all... afraid that it'd look too much like a "tuning" mod, in lack of a better term :mrgreen: so gonna stay stock...
eresseraca

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits