*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fitting cruise control to 2.0dohc

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Fitting cruise control to 2.0dohc

Postby DodgeRover » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:24 am

I'm running 2 cylinder tanks in my mk2 at the moment an 80l and 90l total fill is around 140l I'm thinking about adding another tank underneath to take me to about 200l.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby madmart132 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:28 am

I have 3 tanks in my mk6 Luton , 1 a 160 litre in back of van and a 80 litre and another 70 litre tank underneath give me a decent range . Cheapest lpg seems to be Belgium I saw it at .41cents a litre there 3 weeks ago , but takes me around 20 mins to fill from empty .
My range is about 1000-1200 miles depending on how full I am and if I am towing or not but in my mk5 hicube it was 800 +miles on just the 160 litre tank
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:26 am

I bet the other people waiting to fuel love you! Seriously I watched someone put 400l into a little international truck once and that took forever!
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby halla » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:20 am

My thoughts on two or more tanks, I think the weight issue would diminish the gains of using lpg. I would rather plan my stops, at cheaper filling stations.
Driving up the a1 I would fill up in Doncaster Morrisons, but it took time to drive in there, in the end I found a Morrisons at borobridge. Two minutes off the A1.
But if I went back up to Scotland I may prefer to take a few more tanks, they seem geared up to take advantage of tourists to the nth degree. I remember a Morrisons came to the rescue that time also.

I was in a pub in Belgium asked to buy some cigs they did not have any because Luxembourg was 10 - 20 miles away. I filled up once in Luxembourg 10 years ago, it was 15 cents, motorway services. I may remember France at the time was more 56 cents plus. That may be a good detour especially if you have two or more tanks.

My tank was stuck on 66 litres for years, got it serviced and it now takes 73 to 83 if I remember.
Ian
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:34 pm

I would love to get the mileage you are getting per l, the best I've managed has been just over 4 miles per litre.
Weight doesn't seem to make that much difference. 2l of lpg is approximately 1kg so even 400l would be only 200kg extra plus the tank weight.
100kg more isn't something I would worry about with my van.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:03 pm

I don't think the weight is an issue for me as seem to use the same loaded or unloaded, I am certain my Van is running as it should as have the gasses analysed all was ok and it's never been different since I had it but for the life of me cannot normally get better than just under 14 l per 100km @ 100kmh flat road, wind behind me :) One time did manage to get from Flensburg Germany all the way to ferry port Hirtshals on 52 litres, but was blowing a gale behind me.Tanking takes time and always have the problem that it makes me want to Pee but normally you can't stop and start like with tanking Petrol, so end up dancing about for what seems like an eternity. If I could find a way of de-canting gas bottles into my tank I would do that as well :) it's all down to pennies in the end, but with the amount I use it all adds up to saved pounds and it's substantial. I would love a 200 litre cylindrical Stako tank. Another problem is my Van is registered in Poland, and it's worse than Mongolia for rules and regulations, a tank must be examined and certificated after 10 years, then 20 years old cannot be used again. As far as I know nobody ever looked at it on an MOT in Holland or anywhere else for that matter.
I went out yesterday evening and euro 95 was 13.72 nok a litre, tonight on my way back from work 16.22 nok a rise of 25p a litre overnight, at the lowest price it would be better to drive on petrol as the saving is minimal with lpg.
Transit the everyday mans van....
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:37 pm

https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/
another link Luxeburg 51 cents https://www.opreis.nl/prijzen-benzine-d ... pg-europa/ these are higher end prices
You think you have it tough in UK, I registered my Van in Poland because the road tax is 534 euro a quarter or 2136 euro a year and gas at almost 80 cents a litre.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DodgeRover » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:05 pm

It's easy to pump out from a propane cylinder, into a autogas tank, you just need a hand pump and turn the bottle upside down.
Obviously in England you should also pay the extra tax as you are using it as a road fuel.

Heres a link

http://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-parts/ ... p-for-lpg/

But I would be amazed if you couldn't buy them much cheaper in Poland or from Turkey
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby V8_Bodge » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 am

A 47kg bottle of propane is costing £60 now so pumping it out at 71 pence a litre doesn't make any sense, go to Morrisons at 52 pence per litre.
Mk3 LWB 3.9 V8
V8_Bodge
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby madmart132 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:53 am

There are plenty of lpg stations in Belgium but for some reason I forgot it was a different filler adapter but cheapest I saw it was .41.7 cents but I understand there are cheaper places , my lowest range purely on gas has been 1006 miles but I did just go from Birmingham to Toulouse fully loaded and with a trailer and back as far as evereux without having to fuel up forget exactly how many miles that was 1056 or thereabouts but that was filling @48 p litre in Birmingham . £144 for that mileage which is cheap .
I made that about 3.5 miles per litre which is pretty much as good as I will get towing . I think the weight does make a difference but straight roads at constant speed seems to be the way to get good economy
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby halla » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:52 pm

Just thinking taxi filling stations are usually the cheapest places to fill up. In Spain I found one. I remember driving round and round Valencia looking for a taxi place. They are hard to find, but worth looking out for.
Yeah I hear Birmingham is one of the best places to fill up 48p. My local flogas is currently 50p

One good answer maybe sportscots cruise control, 1100 miles, I'd never walk straight again.

And do not forget polish your paint work keep it smooth.
Ian
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Bah 61ppl here in the posh South local Flogas was even more last time I went and they're never open when I'm not working anyway.
Birmingham is definitely the cheapest place duty paid. I do know someone localish who got his bulk home tank filled for 25ppl - sadly he doesn't have a liquid take off.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:09 pm

After 9 years of my Van being a Gas Hog have eventually found out what the problem is. My Van was being a bit hesitant in the cold mornings going uphill and eventually got the notion my thermostat was defect, been averaging 16 to 17 litres per 100km ever since I've had the thing. I removed thermostat and checked it was opening and closing with hot water and not stuck, refitted. Covered my radiator with a piece of plywood, I now have an mpg improvement of about 25% averaging 12.3 litres per 100km. I never suspected the thermostat because the cab heater used to get so hot could almost scold your hand on the vent and the gauge would just lift into the normal.
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby madmart132 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 pm

hi so you getting what I said you should be getting then
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sportscott » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:13 pm