*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK3 starting problems in winter -> solved!

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK3 starting problems in winter -> solved!

Postby axxez » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:51 am

Hi there!

I always had problems starting my transit when it got colder, changed the battery every year. With new battery it was kind of ok to start in the cold, but never any good. So just recently, as it got cold again and the car was nearly not starting anymore, I changed the starter. I guess I had the "big" starter before, which consumes, AFAIK 2,7kw -> probably around 225 amps (plain calculation without wiring etc.). So now I got an advice from another Transit-fan who told me that the later models have a smaller starter with reductor. My new starter for Transit 1994-2000 has only 2,2kw -> probably around 183 amps (plain calculation without wiring etc.), meaning that, thanks to the build-in reductor it takes less energy to start the car. It works absolutely satisfying and didn't have a problem so far, the car just jumps on directly, like a new car! Battery is 100AH, 6 month old, quiet some abuse during that time (dual-load with solar-battery and -panel, 100W bulbs, bad old starter..), 95A generator (1 year old).
Absolutely happy with this setup now! Just if it helps anybody, as I know that starting in the cold is a problem. Will update, if experiences change.

Cheers
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits