*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Problem with brake servo

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Problem with brake servo

Postby sportscott » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:21 pm

I fitted a Waeco Magic speed cruise control in my Van and done everything by the book, after the first drive my back left brake locked on, then they were all locking on and the only way I can release them is by pulling the vacuum hose off the servo. Now with the cruise control completely disconnected. The servo slowly builds up vacuum and applies the brakes driving on straight roads without using the brakes. What is going on? and does anybody know or can check if the brake servos the same between a petrol and diesel mk5. I should have been on the road tomorrow but doesn't look like it's going to happen unless I can fix the problem. I think I can see some brake fluid leakage on the servo, just an idea I've just had and been reading about how a brake servo works, it can be I've blocked the air inlet port with anti corrosion wax, need to take a look in the morning.
Transit the everyday mans van....
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Problem with brake servo

Postby sportscott » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Spent all night scouring the web and studying how a brake servo works. Decided that it must be the atmospheric valve not closing, that's the one that opens when you press the brake pedal, it was leaking letting air slowly in allowing the vacuum side to apply the brakes. You won't find much about this on the internet only about servo leaking and not pulling vacuum it must be rare but can happen. Swapped out the servo and now everything is ok.
Transit the everyday mans van....
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits