*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Possible engine swap

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Possible engine swap

Postby Islander71 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:05 am

Are all the 2.5 diesel engines interchangeable? Would a mk4 or mk5 turbo engine fit into a non-turbo mk3 van without having to alter engine mountings brackets etc? And will the current mt75 gearbox fit onto the bellhousing if the new engine was fitted with a different box?
The current non turbo engine has no electronic controls at all, which makes things easy - do the later engines ( not the Epic ones) have ECUs?
Sorry, lots of questions - just wondering if it is practical to make my very slow twin wheel camper a bit quicker.....
Islander71
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Possible engine swap

Postby Altransit » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:19 am

None of the Di engines have an ECU, apart from those blessed with an EPIC pump, but you can even use one of those and fit a Bosch pump in its place.
So far as I know, they will all bolt up to a diesel MT75 box and fit in the same mountings as each other 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby vanfox » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:59 am

Assuming you have a Bosch IP., if it's in good order fit the turbo bits to your engine. You'll need the turbo, oil feed pipe, manifolds, exhaust front pipe, sump, (for turbo oil return),water pump pulley, ( slightly smaller diameter with belt to match). New cam belt. Increase fuelling / retime the bosch pump, plenty of info on here. I may have missed a part or two, take lots of pics of both engines before you start. The increased torque will sort out your sluggish performance, top speed is limited by your diff.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Islander71 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:43 am

Thanks for the info guys - it was what I was hoping to hear. Not sure if it would be easier to find all the seperate parts to fit a turbo, or find a complete replacement engine - living on one of the Scottish Islands can make getting parts difficult. Current engine seems sound apart from a dribbling rear crankshaft seal. Would the injectors need replacing if fitting the turbo?
Islander71
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Can you, or do you want to change engines when you can fit the turbo bits to your good engine? Find a complete engine, take off the turbo mechanicals and flog the Epic, electronics and block. (Or keep as spare engine). Plenty of experience on here doing this job. You can run standard injectors, depends how much power you want. There's a list here with the reccommended numbers.A boost gauge is handy.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits