*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine or Clutch noise, Oil lights Please advise.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Engine or Clutch noise, Oil lights Please advise.

Postby therigsmith » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:50 pm

I been really busy and cowboy bumpstarting jumpstart you name it for the last months. Thought it was battery but seems to be the Chinese solenoid installed on the starter maybe a year or more ago.

Now also I neglected the oil changes. Recently the oil light flickers. Sometimes stayed on. I thought it had oil but the otherday my partner had bad noise like when the screw come lose under the rocker covers and switched off with flat battery. We had trouble jump starting it, I thought it was screwed it was turning and stalling at the time but the jumper van guy did not have direct access to the battery, after letting it charge on his van for 5 mins it started.

I hoped it was alternator noise but dam it never went away. I also had no oil between the min and max marks, I drove it around 500meters to get it back home with the oil light soild. Its been topped up now but still oil light flickers sometimes stays solid for to long. it has alot of gunk on the filler cap head since I bought it 3 or more years ago. this week I was going to see if I could find oil flush products and do oil service and inspect the filter insides for metal.

Now I have a noise as a result of bump starting repeatedly in 1st gear or because the lack of oil has knackered something. I am not certan when the noise started.

The noise I think comes from the rear of the engine as its louder under the van. its tapping or nocking around the RPM of the engine. Sort of like machine gun fire or maybe the sound of a tractor.

You dont get the noise when the engine is not loaded. but is not the gear box as the noise because it happens still at higher RPM out of gear.

My idea so far is
1: Damaged bearing inside engine
2: Spring lose in clutch or a finger bent~
3: timing belt skipped teeth.

I am going to source materials this week to try sort it out, Any advise please. I am in Portugal and its hard to get stuff here so I might need to ebay it in advance while its all apart.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Engine or Clutch noise, Oil lights Please advise.

Postby gotgcoalman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Oil light not going out straight away could be it desperatly needs an oil change or the oil pressure sensor is on it's way out.
BUT
Due to running it low on oil expect the worst.
Main/big end bearings and possible crank damage.

Bump starting a Di shouldn't cause an issue with timing belt (usually)
although using 1st gear (did the back end not lock up)

without seeing/hearing it I can't give anymore input.
I'm not going to sugest a video/audio of it running as it would only cause further damage to the bottom end.

Sump off and check the shells/crank for wear then work from there. :(
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby therigsmith » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:27 pm

I am going to get a video on facebook public link and post it soon.

Can the main end and big end bearings be replaced.

How hard is the job. I am a fairly well tooled up to work on the van and done a few engine out or gear box off jobs. but never a engine apart job hehe.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby therigsmith » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:33 pm

we been driving it around no problem since the event. with oil topped up. Noise always not sure its got worse or better.

We have no option than to use it as living on a farm. we have a spare engine here and free recovery home if it blows up. But we are so busy now part of the reason for the neglect.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gotgcoalman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:56 pm

How does the van drive?
Pulling power?
gear changes?
trying to ruleout engine bottom end and poorly adjusted clutch cable (thrust bearing) causing the noise.
Does the light go off now.
is it a manual or auto clutch adjuster?
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gotgcoalman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:59 pm

therigsmith wrote:I am going to get a video on facebook public link and post it soon.

Can the main end and big end bearings be replaced.

How hard is the job. I am a fairly well tooled up to work on the van and done a few engine out or gear box off jobs. but never a engine apart job hehe.

main and botton end bearings are replaceable (providing there's no damage to the crankshaft)
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby therigsmith » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:21 pm

I got the video

https://www.facebook.com/therigsmith/vi ... 563110298/

Lights flickered today on and off until it got warmer.

Sometimes the oil light is dim not fully on as well as flickers

Last time that happened it went lights away with oil change and filter change well over a year ago now. This van has probably been owned by not so wealthy Portuguese people, I suspect its got poor service history (myself at fault also) which is why I was thinking of using a engine oil flush product in attempt to dislodge carbon buildup in any capillary's or tubes.

The clutch is manual adjusting. it seems slack but I dont think its the clutch adjustment as it will do the noise with clutch in or out.

Pulling power and gear changes have not changed since the noise started I dont think. I usally plod along at 80km about 50mph. I took it to about 100km/h today as a test which I dont usually drive this fast unless going up country. The van unlike my old UK ones makes it up big hills etc in upper gears, I dont think that changed since the noise. Next hill I will go for it and take note.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gotgcoalman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:17 am

Hmmmm
If you can borrow an oil pressure tester that would rule out the bottom end bearinds :idea:
failing that give the van an oil and filter change.(check the waste oil with a magnet for bits of metal)
If this sorts/helps the oil light problem then some engine flush and a couple oil changes in the first 1000 miles
should dislodge a lot of the crap thats built up inside the engine.

Noise gets worse/consistant when in gear=tralsmission :(
short of pulling the gearbox (it has got oil in hasen't it?) and checking for obvious damage to the clutch components/pilot bearing in the flywheel.
Also play on the input shaft bearing.
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby therigsmith » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:39 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wave-Box-Oil ... SwyLlXpH~-

Would this be the right thing to use. Where do you attach it?
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gotgcoalman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:33 pm

Un screw the oil pressure switch and screw the gauge in using the right adaptor.
oil pressure idling 1 bar about 14.5 psi
normal running 2.7-4.8 bar about 39-70 psi ish
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits