*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Crankshaft Damage

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Crankshaft Damage

Postby therigsmith » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:03 pm

As suspected I rolled bearing and been driving it nocking for some time. Today I took the sump pan off and took out the offending bearing. there was only half left with possible remains of the other half stuck to it.

I was surprised the crank journals where not battered to hell or gorged. looks more like its scratched but not battered

Its to dark to photo it but I will work out how to do that in the daylight tomorrow.

Has anyone ever hand polished it, fitted the bearing and hoped for the best. I am tempted before swapping the engine.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Crankshaft Damage

Postby joinerman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Nothing to loose in my opinion
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jim Archer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:20 am

Find out why it failed first though.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby therigsmith » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:17 am

It failed because I have been very naughty. for the last 2 years I have been really busy and did alot of km, and neglected the importance of oil and filter change. Just topped it up when we see the lights.

by the time it spun the bearing it was almost empty. What was left was gunk. I opened the filter to look for metal it was blocked thick with black.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby madmart132 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Don't waste your time and money just on new bearings get the crank reground because it will be knackered
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanfox » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:20 am

If, as you say, you've been running it with a knock for a while I'd risk a set of shells and see how you go. Clean out the sump properly, fit a new filter, use GOOD oil and hope the oil pump is OK. Run 500 kms then if running well enough change the oil and filter and carry on. All depends on how well you treat the poor engine from now on.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ceurieusneus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 am

I think it is useless to spend your time in replacing only the bearing. I have the same opinion as Madmart
If your other engine is any good, just fix the studs and change the engine.
Try to learn to tread an engine well before, not after it went bang :mrgreen:
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby therigsmith » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:47 am

I think its got to the point I am interested in seeing what happens, I had ordered the bearings for £20 on ebay but it not arrived yet, Maybe today's the day. We get free breakdown recovery service in portugal and its fairly quick, 15-30mins the last two times I called.

Now the van is f*** I am opening almost everything. I would have been scared to do that before encase broken bolts or something else broken. The more I try the better, I am cleaning it all and checking everything. if it spits the bearing out again then I will do the swap

The spare engine I have was quite slow and a bit neglected near the time of scrapping. The engine i have now was making it up hill in top gears, nothing like my old slow van which made me wonder if something is wrong with the spare.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ceurieusneus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:45 am

Please let us know how it turns out... good or bad...
I sincerely hope for you , you get away with just replacing the bearings.
Succes!
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby therigsmith » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Well I got most of the scores out with 500 git wet and dry. Apart from I put a small mark turning the crack and hitting a bolt in the rod.

I am goner go back to it tomorrow. not sure I will take all the nick I put in out. I guess if its smoothed over with a small nick its better than being out of round from trying to remove a diy mark. :roll:
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby therigsmith » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:34 am

Nope totally screwed. After all that the crank is 4mm smaller than it should be lol or I have the wrong bearing

I think its engine swap time. I am goner take this one out try some kind of recon with a new crank.

Took most of the day to get the materials and polish it. Next time I think I will measure the crank before trying this job :lol:
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ceurieusneus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:54 am

How did the new bearing fitted in the connecting rod?
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby therigsmith » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:04 am

They fit OK from what I can tell. click in place and stay in and all that.

Its these ones I fitted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-2-5-D-2 ... 2749.l2649
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:08 am

4mm undersize???? What were you using, an angle grinder????

Did you check the journal was standard size or already ground undersize? The shell should be marked if this is so, check with one of the other undamaged big ends. Something like +010" or +020" (thous)? Convert to metric? The shells in the add are standard
You may find a pairs of undersized (thicker) shells will work, need to use a micrometer across the diameters to check for ovality first. Or swap the crank out of the spare engine if a good one?
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby therigsmith » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:28 am

I think we drove it to long with the nocking, the bearing was totaled I cannot read anything on the one the came out. seems strange though I would have thought the rod was weaker and would have damaged more than the crank.

Looking at the play its more than 0.5mm oversize. this thing is nocking around like it dont have a shell inside.

I have a veneer caliper but no micrometers. I will lift out another bearing and check it later.

The only thing is that ebay listing. Mine is engine 4HB. is there a chance the cam is way smaller but the shells fit the piston arm. One of the other remaining bearings will confirm for sure unless one of you gurus know already.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits