*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ice cream van mk5 cold start problems... bits missing

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Ice cream van mk5 cold start problems... bits missing

Postby ice cream craig » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi Everyone...
Hope you can help me out here...
I have a 2000 w reg ice cream van, 2.4 di..
will try post pic when i can, anyway it runs great.. and allways started well..
but now cold weathers arrived its struggling in the mornings.
Mine does not have glow plugs...
im not sure how the cold start is supposed to work on these..
it does have a butterfly flap thing on the air intake, but the rod that goes from this to the accelerator is missing, so its just sat there doing nothing, when i took the air filter pipe off and loked at the butterfly thing all that is there is a rod with screw holes in, there is no flap there at all,
when ive looked at pictures of these engines on google images mine as a acceletor linkage that the banana engine as, but mines not the banana engine, even if i got a rod and and a new flap thing part it would not fit as it would be out of line... if that makes sense...
ie the bit the rod goes on near the accelerator cable is in a slight different place to what it should be to go to the butterfly bit..
im quite good with a spanner but struggling to understand this one
my questions are...
how does the cold start system actualy work.
if i need a new buttefly intake part that the filter pipe goes onto what is it called ??
does it make any difference to starting or how the van runs performance etc it not being connected up...
and is there some other part on the engine that heats up to help starting...

im also convinced my fuel is getting sucked out f the system when stood overnight, when my tanks full seems to start better, but might be a coincidence
Thanks in adavance,. was told you are the best guys to ask,...
ice cream craig

Re: Ice cream van mk5 cold start problems... bits missing

Postby Keef » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:35 am

Assuming it has the original or correct engine, yours sounds like a 70ps 2.5di and doesn't have a cold start.

The only coldstarts fitted to the 2.5di were a waxstat activated mechanism that increased the cold idle on about 1992-1995 models and a flamestart device for cold climates which was hardly ever fitted on UK vans.

The bits you're looking at or you've noticed missing are part of the egr and shouldn't effect the cold starting.

If your van starts ok with jumpleads, I would suspect a problem with the battery/cables/starter motor and make sure it has fresh engine oil as thick old oil can slow the starter enough to cause bad starting in cold weather. You could also check the timing and valve clearances which can both effect starting.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby angusp » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:23 am

There's a 10 page thread on this in the 'frequently asked questions' section.

I don't have the rod or flap fitted on mine & it doesn't affect cold starting.
2000 mk5 100 swb, going.
2005 mk6 350 lwb, not going.
2005 mk6 280 lwb, gone bang.
1996 mk5 190 lwb, gone.
1998 mk5 80 swb, gone.
angusp
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby angusp » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:44 am

Just to add,

I have an oldish looking battery and small starter motor fitted but the cables look good. However, it is serviced as per ford spec, every 10k, all parts fitted are o.e grade. Starts on the button.
2000 mk5 100 swb, going.
2005 mk6 350 lwb, not going.
2005 mk6 280 lwb, gone bang.
1996 mk5 190 lwb, gone.
1998 mk5 80 swb, gone.
angusp
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanfox » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:29 am

I have a W reg banana Di, small starter, completely standard inlet, flap etc, pig to start last year. Fitted a new Bosch S5, 750 ah battery, seemed to cure it for a few days then back to the grind. Battery cables, engine earth all ...looked....good. The battery negative clamp was ....hot... after trying to start it, the clamp itself was corroded around the cable, giving a high resistance to the starting current. Replaced the cable, including the earth strap to the body under the slam panel, starts on the "button" every time.

As you say, this is the place for help!
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ice cream craig » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:35 pm

vanfox wrote:I have a W reg banana Di, small starter, completely standard inlet, flap etc, pig to start last year. Fitted a new Bosch S5, 750 ah battery, seemed to cure it for a few days then back to the grind. Battery cables, engine earth all ...looked....good. The battery negative clamp was ....hot... after trying to start it, the clamp itself was corroded around the cable, giving a high resistance to the starting current. Replaced the cable, including the earth strap to the body under the slam panel, starts on the "button" every time.

As you say, this is the place for help!

Thanks im going to change the leads from the battery to starter motor and altenator tomorrow, just noticed mines melting and corroded, possibly that..
ice cream craig

Postby ice cream craig » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:36 pm

angusp wrote:There's a 10 page thread on this in the 'frequently asked questions' section.

I don't have the rod or flap fitted on mine & it doesn't affect cold starting.

What does the flap actualy do then. ???
ice cream craig

Postby Keef » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:00 pm

ice cream craig wrote: What does the flap actualy do then. ???

When the flap is open, the intake takes cold fresh air from the air filter and when it is closed the intake takes hot exhaust gas which then clogs your intake with sh*t.

That's why a lot of people disable the egr, usually by removing the flap. The rod is then doing nothing other than making the throttle a bit stiffer so that's next for the bin.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby vanfox » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks im going to change the leads from the battery to starter motor and altenator tomorrow, just noticed mines melting and corroded, possibly that..

Usually it's the earth lead that fails. If your changing the positive lead change the earth lead as well.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ice cream craig » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Picture of my van
Im going to change all the leads tomorrow, Day off, oil filter and oil see how it goes, thanks for all the advice, been great..
Will post how it goes... 99 anyone ???
lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ice cream craig

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:14 pm

ice cream craig wrote:Picture of my van
Im going to change all the leads tomorrow, Day off, oil filter and oil see how it goes, thanks for all the advice, been great..
Will post how it goes... 99 anyone ???
lol

Will you post it :?: :lol:
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits