*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

engine running a bit ruff

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

engine running a bit ruff

Postby therigsmith » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm

The engine which has sat around outside is now in. it was rusty to hell, swapped flywheel, clutch, new water pump, new cambelt.

Had lots of rust in the coolant lines.

Ok after alot of cranking it starts. at first it would stall a lot and seemed to run after much effort to start it.

It seems like its running ruff maybe 1 cylinder not working. When I crack and bleed the injectors the 3rd one back seems to make no obvious change in engine tone or if so much much less than the other 3. There is diesel coming out.

The engine runs much smoother when given some throttle.

Any suggestions please.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: engine running a bit ruff

Postby vanfox » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:30 pm

If still fitted check the butterfly is opening enough at idle to allow the engine to.....idle. May need to shorten the rod. Try swapping injectors around.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby therigsmith » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Not tryed swapping injectors yet but they all seem to make some difference now when cracked.

Seems like after some revs it gets worse.

Do you know what way around the banjo and fuel filter pipes are supposed to be. I think I had the injector bleed into the wrong hole.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby therigsmith » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 pm

I changed the injectors.

the plastic seal is stuck inside blown engine. I did a fairly crap job a pulling the seal bit of the injectors and putting it on the other 4. I think one is now stuck inside the donor engine if I want to swap injectors again.

Anyways. its swapped. Not a great job. its made no improvement. its now got some black smoke, I think the old engine was a bit smokey black. The injectors are different also on each engine so I swapped all 4.

I am running out of ideas. I have to hold the accelerator a little to stop the engine bouncing and stalling. At full revs its just not going any faster it gets to somewhere and dont go any faster.

Its getting very tiring. I might try swapping the fuel injector pump.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits