*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit mk4 front chassis leg repair

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Transit mk4 front chassis leg repair

Postby Wullie23 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:04 pm

hello looking for a bit of information the front chassis legs on my ford transit are the worse for wear think they are beyond patching now .my question is I have got a second van the same model 190 lwb six stud is it possible to cut the chassis legs off and replace them and were to cut would buying a thatcham Mira manual be a good idea I have done a lot of welding to van but this may be well over my head thanks in advance any information would be great wullie
Wullie23

Re: Transit mk4 front chassis leg repair

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Done it loads of times......I cut the main rail off just in front of the engine mounts and the top plate off just behind the mount (so welded joint is staggered)
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Wullie23 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks for you're reply rvm my problem is I welded up the front about 6 years ago it's still holding the bit that is now rotten
Is between the engine mount and the subframe mount and the rail at the back of subframe don't look to healthy neither but
Going to have a look at it on Sunday with a welding hammer see actually how bad it is cheers will take a picture then to
Wullie23

Postby ernie b » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Central panels are doing new ones now if you really want to do a job on it.
They come in two parts if I remember rightly
ernie b
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Wullie23 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:28 pm

Have had a look at chassis leg on the website and probably best option if I'm gonna do it be aswell to do it right a lot of money but hopefully it will pay off in long run .taking van to local welder this week and if he can do it get a rough price thanks
Wullie23

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits