*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

76ps 2.5di turbo questions

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

76ps 2.5di turbo questions

Postby TPM961 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi guys, Merry Christmas!

I've got a mk5 76ps Bosch pump'd lwb semi HT with 112k that I spent all summer welding up (fabricated new rear outriggers & spring hangers, new front inner & outer arches, sills, sliding door Sill) and now all that's complete my girlfriend and I are covering it into a camper (complete with a log burner!). Last week we took it to Wales and around the Brecon beacons, and the lack of power was even more noticeable! It's got a 5.14 5 stud Axle and I've already turned the pump up. Had recent filters etc too.

I've been researching turbo conversions as this definitely seems the way to go. But a few questions I can't find answers to.
First of all I'm really liking the 200tdi conversion options! I'm all for a bit of fabrication/modification so just got a few questions.

Emissions...with the fuelling upped to compensate for the extra air will it still pass Mot emissions? Or is this not a problem due to the fact it'll be burning the fuel properly?

Also with the current diff I think the engine is doing about 3300rpm at 60, will it be using even more fuel at motorway speeds?

For anyone who's got instagram and is interested check out @moose_in_transit for pictures of all the work/ progress :)
Any advice appreciated.
Tom

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
1999 transit mk5 2.5di lwb camper conversion
2019 ranger wildtrak
Quantum 2+2 1.0 ecoboost project
TPM961
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 76ps 2.5di turbo questions

Postby ceurieusneus » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:55 pm

This is no answer to your question...
After 50 years off traveling Europe by car caravan camper, at least 100 trips, it is always a good feeling toe stop the engine the last day on the front door. Towing a caravan, or a full loaded camper uses a lot of power from the engine.
The more the engine can give, the more you are likely to use...
My camper (ex ambulance) is fully loaded, only has 70HP Nowhere I am going to change anything on the engine to increase her power. 8)
If it takes a bit longer, so will be it. :wink:
Most of the time, I was driving cars with many miles on the clock. :)
Only on one occasion I did not reach home under my own power. :oops:
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby TPM961 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:53 pm

That's a very good point, however there seem to be lots of people who have turbocharged reliably. I'd also like to tow my kitcar behind it, but I dread to think what it'll be like on hills!

Obviously adding a turbo is adding complexity, however provided the turbo isn't knackered I can't see reliability being an issue. Having got 2 other vehicles, both turbocharged!

2019 ranger wildtrak
TPM961
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ceurieusneus » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:55 pm

From visiting this forum, I now believe the 2.5Di is a very solid engine
What I write here is my opinion on upgrading a 20 year old engine.

I used to work on (bigger) diesel engines.
Same brand, turbo and non turbo, it was not just putting a turbo on a "normal" engine.
There where a lot off other parts in the engine that where changed on the turbo models.

Your two other turbo's where factory build! 8) You probably never used the maximum output over a longer period.
Going uphill, fully loaded camper and towing a kitcar is a different story! :mrgreen:

Changing the settings of the diesel pump, is the last thing that I would advice...
To my knowledge, changing the air to fuel ratio, for higher output, will increase the temperature in the combustion chamber. :(

I crossed Swiss (to Italy) with my 70HP ambulance 3200kg towing a 750kg trailer.

Whatever you do, I wish you luck... lotus 7? Caterham?
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby TPM961 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:34 pm

ceurieusneus wrote:From visiting this forum, I now believe the 2.5Di is a very solid engine
What I write here is my opinion on upgrading a 20 year old engine.

I used to work on (bigger) diesel engines.
Same brand, turbo and non turbo, it was not just putting a turbo on a "normal" engine.
There where a lot off other parts in the engine that where changed on the turbo models.

Your two other turbo's where factory build! 8) You probably never used the maximum output over a longer period.
Going uphill, fully loaded camper and towing a kitcar is a different story! :mrgreen:

Changing the settings of the diesel pump, is the last thing that I would advice...
To my knowledge, changing the air to fuel ratio, for higher output, will increase the temperature in the combustion chamber. :(

I crossed Swiss (to Italy) with my 70HP ambulance 3200kg towing a 750kg trailer.

Whatever you do, I wish you luck... lotus 7? Caterham?

This is exactly the information I'm trying to obtain! I'm aware there are differences between the turbo and N/A engines. However a quick search on the forum (which really is an amazing source of information!) reveals a fair few people who have successfully turbo'd.
I'm not looking for ultimate power, a slight increase in power and torque is what i'm after. i just don't want to be overtaken by lorries on the hills! I'm not looking to push the boundaries of the engine, and i'm sure it'll handle the slightly increased combustion chamber temperatures. It wouldn't be prolonged flat out driving, just nice to have the grunt when it's required :)

Has anyone had an engine/component failure due to turbocharging an n/a engine?

The kitcar is a thing called a Quantum. It's based on a mk2 xr2 fiesta, but i've been rebuilding mine and swapping to Fords 1.0 ecoboost engine and 6 speed gearbox. Been a lot of work but i'm hoping to finish it in time for summer! :)
2019 ranger wildtrak
TPM961
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby F111ORY » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:44 pm

I agree with the above that adding a turbo to a N/A engine may cause premature engine failure but the Di is such a strong engine that you have nothing to fear and I would not waste time and money fitting something like a Landrover 200 Tdi.

I have experimented with turbos on Di's and have wound up a N/A engine with a turbo on a dyno to 125hp. Two of the engines I have turbo charged use the landrover 200 Tdi turbo as they are quite available on Ebay.

Here is a link to some of what I have done

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=136339

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3NRSJE7RxU&t=32s

My lwb high roof camper runs with around 12 psi max boost and the fuel turned up just until it smokes untill the boost starts. You will be amazed at the extra power on hills a little boost and fuel give!
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby TPM961 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:23 am

That makes for some interesting reading! How did you find welding that manifold? Any issues with it cracking when it cooled?

I didn't mean fit a complete 200tdi unit, only using a 200tdi turbo as you've done.

How many miles has yours covered since the addition of a turbo?

2019 ranger wildtrak
TPM961
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:24 am

Mine did best part of 60K miles with 85ps injectors fitted.

At one point I was running 24psi and the stock -141 pump wound up to match - I backed it off a bit as it wore the cambelt quickly and ripped the centre out of a cheap clutch during a 5th gear motorway sliproad roll-on.

The roll-on acceleration from 60 - 80 in the length of the truck you were overtaking did raise a smile :)

The TD injectors do give better topend, the 70 and 76ps jobs were able to give a nice bit of extra bottomend stomp, but lacked flow at higher revs so the acceleration tailed off.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby F111ORY » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:52 pm

Its in my camper so only done about 12k since it was fitted. Re the welding, the landrover manifold is steel so there are no problems there. The transit manifold is some mixture of steel and cast, it's not the stuff cast iron baths are made from and welds ok but the weld is rock hard and you can't drill or saw it after!

Despite having the manifold bolted to a scrap head while I welded it ,it bowed and the head face had to be faced afterwards.
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:53 pm

Manifold welding - pre-heating it to 'fecking hot' will help stop the weld zone going hard and the whole thing pulling.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jholtby » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:33 pm

Sorry to revisit, been trawling through old threads trying to gain some info on giving my maroon mk5 banana engined swb tipper a bit more grunt

Ive done the fuel pump mod and thats helped, but other lads use it and if too heavy footed they make a smoke screen and it now has the nickname cuttlefish

I have sat in the corner of the yard my very first van, slowly rotting away, its a mk5 lwb hi cube with what i believe to be the 100ps turbo engine (epic pump)

Now i remember it being rather rapid, especially compared to the tired cuttlefish, and think turbocharging is the easiest and cheapest solution

So should i.....

Swap the whole engine over?

Or is it easier to just swap the turbo ancillaries over (worried about snapping bolts) ?

Also, it looks as though there is an extra loom coming off the top of my engine with a box of tricks, do i need that?

Ive attached a picture of the engine, if you guys could confirm if im right avout it being the epic pump that would be great

Thanks

Joe
Jholtby

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits