*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Not liking my transit today...

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Not liking my transit today...

Postby Mk5swbhighroof » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 pm

Last night when reverse parking into a parking spot, there was a horrible grindy noise coming from the front when turning the steering wheel. I checked the wheel, and suspecting a wheel bearing or steering problem, we trundled home (only a mile or so). I had a set of wheel bearings and new disks and pad ready anyway, so not the end of the world.
I started this morning by jacking up the off-side front wheel to remove the brake caliper. That's when the swearing started. The bottom pivot bolt rounded the internal key, so I tried for option two, remove the caliper together with the bracket. More swearing, the top bolt decided to round off as well..... :x :x :x

On the plus side, I checked the bearing, which is ok for now, and I have checked the brake pads which have a bit of life left too.

The steering is still not happy, when turning from lock to lock it makes a kind of rubbing/grinding noise. There is no play on any of the mountings or pivots (that I could determine when underneath whilst the better half turned the wheel. With the wheel of the ground, I could slightly push 'turn' the wheel a smidgen against the pressure of the rack. There is no oil leak from the rack, so I presume a replacement will need to be found.
If I can get those ffing bolts out....
Mk5swbhighroof
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Not liking my transit today...

Postby Hondekop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Could be the ball joint (suspension or steering). As a quick diagnosis, you could inject oil with a syringe (piercing the rubber boot) and listen if the noise disappears. I would start with the suspension ball joint.

Ciao, Kai
1992 MK4 LWB van, 2.5 TD 101 HP
Hondekop
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:33 pm

First thing to check is the PAS belt. For some reason they make a graunchy/grindy noise if they work loose
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mk5swbhighroof » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:53 pm

MinorMatt wrote:First thing to check is the PAS belt. For some reason they make a graunchy/grindy noise if they work loose

Cheers Matt, I'll check that in the morning. To be fair, that belt has been a bit slacker than its supposed to be, but hasn't given any trouble since I've had the van for about a year now, but I did change the fan belt last week.
Mk5swbhighroof
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:42 am

Give us feedback... makes sense with what you are saying!
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mk5swbhighroof » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:39 pm

MinorMatt wrote:Give us feedback... makes sense with what you are saying!

Well what do you know.. the mounting bolt (that the pump mounting bracket pivots on) had come loose. I've retightened the belt and all bolts, and it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for your advice. :D
Mk5swbhighroof
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits