*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bosch VE pump dial gauge timing setting

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Bosch VE pump dial gauge timing setting

Postby Chug » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:39 pm

I want to setup my Bosch VE pump 0460 414 051 and need the correct setting info, I've seen 0.68mm @ TDC mentioned a few times whilst searching the forum, but not sure if this just for turbo engines, is this the correct figure for N/A engines too?
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Bosch VE pump dial gauge timing setting

Postby Stule » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:54 am

This is a right figure for N/A engines 0,68. Turbo need a little more 0,68-0,75 figure.
Stule
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:03 am

Thank you Stule,

is there any way to set to TDC other than removing an injector and using a knitting needle on top of the piston?
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Stule » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:44 pm

You dont need to take injector out, just put pins in flywheel and pump and see if your markings are correct and take of the injector pipes at the back of pump and unscrew the center bolt and put a dti gauge in it. Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6v2G0Inz5Y. And read this threads viewtopic.php?f=4&t=149560&hilit=dti+gauge#p1255102
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=153803&hilit=dti+timing
Stule
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Stule » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Stule
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jim Archer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:24 pm

If using the correct Bosch adaptor you just need to unscrew the centre piston head cap.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Chug » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:38 pm

If I understand correctly the 0.68mm figure is the setting @ TDC.

I have read through all those threads before and the problem is that when the pins are in the normal positions the pump is at about 11-13 degrees before TDC on the base of the campalte in the pump, so no dti reading, which I have confirmed by measuring with the pin in position on my spare known good pump.

I'll just find TDC with a needle and set it to 0.68mm and see how I get on and tweak if needed, hopefully the pump rebuild kit will arrive tomorrow and I can get the pump back together, if not I'll fit my spare pump until I can get the original pump back together.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Chug » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:50 pm

So 0.68mm is the figure to set when using the locking pins and not with the engine actually set at TDC, that makes more sense.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Chug » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Today I fitted my spare IP and after some bleeding she fired up, but now I'm really stumped as its doing exactly the same thing it did with the original IP, starts on the button, will tick over all day, but as soon as the revs increase to 1/4 throttle it struggles for fuel.

I've got a clear pipe to the IP inlet supplying fuel from a can under the bonnet, and a clear pipe from the IP return back to the fuel can, as soon as the revs go past fast idle air appears in the return pipe, try and increase the revs and more air appears in the return pipe and she dies.

There is no air going in, but when revved there's lots of air going back down the return pipe I then start to see some really tiny bubbles in the feed pipe, but I think that is just where its sucking from close to the returned air in a small fuel can.

I'm gonna try and find an electric fuel pump to feed the IP with fuel under pressure(my engine has no lift pump) and sort out another fuel can for the return to eliminate the return giving air to the feed.

Other than that I really haven't got a clue, its starting to get me down now!
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Is there a lot of movement in the control lever where it enters the pump?

Also check the inlet union isn't partially blocked.

What makes you think it is fuel restricted? The injection timing will go retarded and give white 'diesel smelling' smoke from the exhaust if so. That you have 2 pumps doing the same says it's something ekse.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby vanfox » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 pm

WP_20180109_001.jpg
Having dabbled with veg oil my opinion is you have classic fuel restriction. Fit a good electric fuel pump, ( not a mini SU, a JAG SU or one of the sport electric pumps available) which will supply a good steady flow, as seen thru your clear pipe. Test run from, in my case, a two litre coke bottle 'cos you can see the fuel recirculating, and you should see no bubbles once primed. Test with half a tank and don't let it drop much below it, you will be able to see any air in the recirculating fuel, even with the engine stopped, pump running. If you have any air leaks or ingress this should show.

A while ago there was a topic about low internal IP pressure and how to deal with it. Given these pumps are getting on for 20 yrs old this may be something to do with your probs.......

The above JAG pump worked well for me. Connect to ground and the cut off valve. Keep the pump points clean!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Chug » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks for the replies folks, its all sorted and running well again, friend on another forum mentioned the return restrictor and I checked and that was not tight and the little timing bolt was also only hand tight!
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Manuals indicate that the initial angle of fuel injection for all engines of Transit 2.5 is 11 angular degrees to TDC. What for an atmospheric diesel that is for a turbodiesel.
If the adjusting screws of the injection pump have an effective protection, first of all it concerns the fuel supply screw from the side of the fuel pipes, then most likely the hub from the pump shaft was not removed and there is no need to remove and reposition the hub of the toothed pulley of the injection pump.
A small adjustment of the initial angle of injection can be done by locking only the flywheel with the pin and releasing the four bolts of the gear pulley of the pump. To do this, turn the pump shaft to the desired side by the nut on the shaft with a 22 mm key.
Rotating the shaft clockwise makes the injection earlier, counter-clockwise injection later
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits