*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Diff removal on a MK5 SWB Mid Roof VG 120 5wheel stud axle?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Diff removal on a MK5 SWB Mid Roof VG 120 5wheel stud a

Postby vanfox » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:42 am

Yellow box sounded just what I needed to correct my speedo after fitting the Laycock overdrive after my MT 75 box. Quickly realised after reading the web page I need a mechanical device to take the drive from the overdrive speedo attachment, or I need to replace my leccy speedo with a cabledrive. Ah well, back to using the sat nav when in overdrive.
Is there a cable speedo will fit into the rev counter dash?
Anyone got a spare speedo sender from an MT 75? Maybe I can adapt it to the Laycock........?
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby NeilsTransit » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:25 pm

vanfox wrote:Yellow box sounded just what I needed to correct my speedo after fitting the Laycock overdrive after my MT 75 box. Quickly realised after reading the web page I need a mechanical device to take the drive from the overdrive speedo attachment, or I need to replace my leccy speedo with a cabledrive. Ah well, back to using the sat nav when in overdrive.
Is there a cable speedo will fit into the rev counter dash?
Anyone got a spare speedo sender from an MT 75? Maybe I can adapt it to the Laycock........?

Yes, the yellow box wires attach to the autobox speedo sender (in my case) after it's been converted to an electrical signal device which has 3 wires so non mechanical. . They also do a 2 wire version which fits earlier models but still has to attached to an electrical signal. The engine in my Transit is a Holden V6 commodore which had auto and manual models which both had these adapters.
Maybe if you emailed Yellow box they may have information about what you can do about this. Amazingly they are based in Australia but most of their customers are from the USA and maybe there are people in the USA that are doing something similar to you.
Contacting Laycock themselves and asking them about adapters could be another possibility as there have been many adapters used on various vehicles in the nineties so there may well be an adapter that fits the Laycock.
I recently spoke to a mechanic enthusiast and he said with manufactures of vehicle parts that there was much mixing and matching going on, one part made by one manufacturer will fit on a different manufacturers vehicle so there is hope
But hey what do I know, I'm only a gardener!
NeilsTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Grimas » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Sorry to revive an old post. I'm currently undertaking a Commodore Ecotec 3.8L conversation on my Mk5 transit. I'm looking to change my diff also. If Neil reads this can you please email me? I've got a few questions about the diff swap. My email address is nat_shap_18@hotmail.com. cheers!
Grimas

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits