*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Diff removal on a MK5 SWB Mid Roof VG 120 5wheel stud axle?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Diff removal on a MK5 SWB Mid Roof VG 120 5wheel stud axle?

Postby NeilsTransit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:14 am

G'day to you, I'm trying to remove my diff out of the axle housing but I cannot get the half shafts out. Is there a trick to it? I've removed the brakes and drum but the shaft just doesn't move, I've reversed the drum, replaced back onto the half shaft and hit it with a heavy hammer but to no avail. Can anybody help me please?
What I'm trying to do is replace the 4.56/1 ratio with a smaller ratio. My current engine is a V6 commodore engine and the diff ratio is to high for the appropriate engine revs I have been told that the old Ford Zephyr diffs will fit or maybe just the crown wheel and pinion but anyways I have located someone who has Zephyr diffs can do such things if I give him the 4.56/1 diff he will do whatever is needed
Thanks Transit Neil
But hey what do I know, I'm only a gardener!
NeilsTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Diff removal on a MK5 SWB Mid Roof VG 120 5wheel stud a

Postby dumper » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:02 am

If it’s the one we’re the complete diff unit comes out of front of axle all I’ve ever done was remove the drum and hir the half shaft really hard with a big lump hammer they usually pop straight out someone may have put silicone sealer on it to seal it which won’t help or it may be seized on the wheel studs try knocking them out may help .
If diff comes out of rear of axle it may be like some of the mk6 axles that you have remove something in the diff but I don’t know if that was ever used on a mk5
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby NeilsTransit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:26 am

dumper wrote:If it’s the one we’re the complete diff unit comes out of front of axle all I’ve ever done was remove the drum and hir the half shaft really hard with a big lump hammer they usually pop straight out someone may have put silicone sealer on it to seal it which won’t help or it may be seized on the wheel studs try knocking them out may help .
If diff comes out of rear of axle it may be like some of the mk6 axles that you have remove something in the diff but I don’t know if that was ever used on a mk5

Thanks for the quick reply Dumper, yes the diff comes out at the front so the half shaft removal needs more force than I've been using though I'm frightened to crack the reversed drum by hitting it too hard
NeilsTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:31 am

Hi it’s gd night over hear cobbler take the drum off all together that’s holding the shaft on to the hub and hit the centre of the half shaft as hard as you can but make sure you don’t hit the studs
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby NeilsTransit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:52 am

dumper wrote:Hi it’s gd night over hear cobbler take the drum off all together that’s holding the shaft on to the hub and hit the centre of the half shaft as hard as you can but make sure you don’t hit the studs

So are you saying to hit the shaft inwards? I don't understand how that will make the shaft pop out
NeilsTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:33 am

Yes it will pop out it may sound daft but this is the same way to remove the shaft on Hgv s and psvs just take drum off and hit it
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby NeilsTransit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:59 am

dumper wrote:Yes it will pop out it may sound daft but this is the same way to remove the shaft on Hgv s and psvs just take drum off and hit it

Well after much cursing, swearing and giving Donald Trump the finger I decided to re-read your post as I couldn't understand how hitting the shaft inwards could help anything but upon a re-read I realized that as you say the drum holds the shaft in place as there are two flanges closely pressed together, one on the end of the half shaft and one on the hub so yes hitting the outer flange will make it bounce off the inner flange once the brake drum has been completely removed and this is exactly what happened so many many thanks Dumper :D
NeilsTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:51 am

Hmm with all the hammering if the flange etc it Might not be a bad idea to replace the wheel bearing?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:12 am

Not a bad idea Matt
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby vanfox » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:30 am

Don't forget to post as to whether your guy manages to build a faster diff. I don't recall anyone in the UK doing this?
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby NeilsTransit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:19 pm

vanfox wrote:Don't forget to post as to whether your guy manages to build a faster diff. I don't recall anyone in the UK doing this?

I've been on the Holy Grail of getting a smaller diff for my Transit for over two years and after I'd tried every known avenue to man all I was getting in return for my efforts was hysterical laughter and shaking of heads. But then MinorMatt one day mentioned in a post about a legend that said the crown wheel and pinion out of a Ford Zephyr could/would fit the 5 wheel stud front loading Mk5 diff and miraculously I stumbled across a back yard True Blue Aussie mechanic of the OLD School and after much discussion and endless stories about Captain Cook finally he said I have two Ford Zephyr diffs sitting on my bench at the back of the shed so bring yours around and we'll see what happens.
I must hasten to add that he calls himself the 'Diff Man' at least that what I thought he said so that sounds promising anyways I'll report back soon with the next gripping episode
NeilsTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NeilsTransit » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:41 am

In the above post I should have said a 'smaller RATIO' diff.. Furthering the saga of the Ford Zephyr diff exchange, it's looking good so far. I entered into the lair of Diff man and he's not called that for nothing as there were scores of diffs and axles everywhere plus a legion of old cars laying around outside. We examined both diffs and they were identical except that the Transit diff had some extra cogs which made it stronger but occupied the same space so not a problem he said. I now wait for a phone call telling me to pickup the new improved diff (3.55/1)
NeilsTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NeilsTransit » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:29 am

SUCCESS with using the crown wheel out of a Ford Zephyr it fits with a bit of adjustment said Diff Man, he had to shave a bit off the central hub thingo to get the crown wheel to slide into place. I now have a 3.55/1 diff in my V6 conversion Transit. Next job is to sort out the incorrect speedo reading and apparently I can change some gears inside the auto transmission behind the speed sensor to suit bearing in mind that this is a Holden autobox not a Transit box. Anyways a big thanks to all who have helped me in this epic saga
Does anybody know the correct amount of diff oil top go in a VG SWB 1999 Transit as I can't buy a hard cpoy Workshop manual to check specs as there doesn't seem to be one for some strange reason
NeilsTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanfox » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:10 am

H axle is 2.7 lt. EP 80-90. Guess it needs a good thrashing to see if the Zephyr bits will take the torque then the breakers are gonna be inundated with people wanting the diff......
Post a few pics of the machining....
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby NeilsTransit » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:56 am

vanfox wrote:H axle is 2.7 lt. EP 80-90. Guess it needs a good thrashing to see if the Zephyr bits will take the torque then the breakers are gonna be inundated with people wanting the diff......
Post a few pics of the machining....

Thanks for the info Vanfox.The diff is already installed but I have one photo attached, it shows the the Zephyr casing with the transit centre machined a little bit to take the Zephyr crown wheel, new bearings and seal on the short shaft that connects to the yoke
Zephyr Diff.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NeilsTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits