*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Smokey transit/heater issues

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Smokey transit/heater issues

Postby BailingBen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:22 pm

Hello,
I have a P reg (1996) ford transit with a 2.5l direct injection turbo, I believe it is what you would call 'coach built' and is converted to a motorhome.
one issue she has is smoke, to the point that if It wasn't for the fact I was going to fix it I would have called her 'smokey joe'.
mainly this happens when she's been idling after running fast, for example if I come off the motorway and theres a red light on the sliproad after about 5 seconds stationary up the old smokescreen goes, the only other time its happened is up a steep hill (and that really was a smoke screen).I've got two possible causes that came to my mind, the first being the EGR valve which I removed and cleaned up, also noticed the pipes had about half a mil to a mil of caked muck on them and cleaned these best I could, but still smokey. the second thing I thought of was maybe leaky injectors?

the other issue i've got which i'm starting to think might be connected to the first is the heaters, they never blow out more than 'luke warm' air, which in such a big open van with lots of windows isn't great. now this is probably relevant but I have noticed that the engine never warms up in idle and once she has finally warmed up after a good run, spending say 5/10mins stationary at idle will see the engine temp. start to drop, and this was a couple of months ago I noticed it so i'm sure its not to do with the artic conditions currently about the uk.

what i'm hoping for is a simple to fix issue that would cause all of the above such as an issue with the cooling or temp. sender of the engine which would then cause the engine temp. to not be very well regulated or recorded which in turn would lead to the smoke and the not so hot 'heaters'.
Hopefully my rambling makes sense and i've given enough information, apart from the above the van seems to run fine, I sometimes wonder if the turbo actually works but its my first van and my first vehicle with a turbo so don't really know what to expect from it.

thanks in advance!
BailingBen

Re: Smokey transit/heater issues

Postby Chug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:09 am

There could be lots of reasons for it smoking we will need more information,

What colour is the smoke? is it burning engine oil? what does it smell like?

As for the heater, has it got a thermostat fitted?
it sounds like it hasn't, another possibility is blocked heater matrix which you may help by removing the heater hoses and back flushing it with a hosepipe.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby BailingBen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 pm

smoke is white in colour, cant recall any particular smell.

as for the heater where should the thermostat be? what does it look like?

thanks
BailingBen

Postby Chug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:55 pm

white smoke is usually indicator of water in the combustion, ie head gasket blowing, but sometimes it can be bluey white from a small amount of oil in combustion, ie head gasket blowing, worn rings, worn bores, valve stem oil seals.

The thermostat is at the engine end of the radiator top hose, the top hose fits onto the thermostat housing, remove thermostat housing bolts and remove the housing and you will find it underneath, if there is one fitted, test it in pan of water heating up and watching with temp gauge to see when it opens, it should open at around 88-92C if working correctly.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:14 pm

download/file.php?id=20515
This is the body of the thermostat. The thermosensitive element is located under the threaded lid and looks like this.
http://angara77.com/img/new/articles/te ... ranzit.jpg
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:22 pm

White smoke can be a sign of late injection, with the engine running gently.
If the nozzles are not sealed, the white smoke is accompanied by a loud and ringing engine operation.
As I understand it, do you have a turbodiesel?
Which injection pump is installed by EPIC Lukas or Bosch VE?
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby BailingBen » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:58 pm

Yes she is a turbo disel, the previous owner had said the someone had adjusted the timing so don’t think the timings off, not sure about the pump but will check when I’m back home.
Thanks for the info and for the link for the thermo stat, will also be on my check list when I get back.
BailingBen

Postby cherniy_chack » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:18 am

Strongly smoke white turbomotor can due to the fact that part of the lubricating oil gets into the turbine turbine and flies out from there in the form of smoke.
Usually, oil gets into the compressor part, from there to the cylinders of the engine, where it burns, usually without smoke.
It is necessary to control the oil consumption by the engine at 1000 km or 600 miles.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby BailingBen » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 pm

If it is a issue with the turbo is there a way of fixing it or is it a case of a new turbo?
I’ve never had a turbo engine before so don’t really know anything about them, I’ve wondered before wether the turbo even worked but again wouldn’t know how to find out or what to listen for, the only thing I’ve heard about turbos is there’s a turbo lag so when I put my foot down it should take a couple of seconds and then I should feel it really pull but I can’t.

I’m a complete newbie to all this, my only experience of disel engines being my lil single cylinder 9hp yanmar in my boat.

Thanks for all the help
BailingBen

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm

BailingBen ,monitoring the oil level in the engine can give an answer to your question.
If the oil consumption is about 1 liter per 2 000 km and higher, then oil can fly through the turbine.
Turbine in a garage can not be repaired.
In the conditions of the garage, it is possible to replace the turbine completely or replace the turbine cartridge, which is approximately 30% cheaper.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits