*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

HELP!!!! White clouds and rough idle

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

HELP!!!! White clouds and rough idle

Postby fungshwai » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:37 am

Hey mates, so I changed timing belt on my 98 smiley 2.5tdi recently. Reset timing and it refused to start. Think my injector pump has an issue so I hooked up an electrical pump to feed the injector pump and fuel is coming through. So it started eventually but now it's idling really really shuddy and I noticed clouds of white smoke.
When u checked there was oil in the hose connecting the air filter box/ turbo and oil intake. It's never done that before.....
fungshwai
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: HELP!!!! White clouds and rough idle

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:32 am

Did you pin it up correctly?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby cherniy_chack » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:58 am

I think it's wrong.
Incorrect start angle of injection is set. Late injection, because the motor starts badly and there is white smoke.
It is necessary to increase the initial angle of injection.
To do this, remove the protection of the timing belt, release the four bolts on the drive pulley of the injection pump and turn the injection pump shaft clockwise.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:06 pm

Does the engine check/EML light up?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby cherniy_chack » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:28 pm

fungshwai,errors when replacing the timing belt happen often.
After the replacement of the belt, you need to remove the locking pins from the flywheel, and the camshaft pulleys and fuel pump. Crank the crankshaft by two turns manually, install the pins into the flywheel and camshaft pulley. Even if the pin into the hole of the injection pump pulley becomes, the belt installation error may be.
This is because the new belt is slightly shorter than the old one.
After the replacement of the belt, it is necessary to carry out correction of the injection beginning using adjusting grooves in the injection pump pulley.
If the engine does not start properly and there is white smoke, you need to release four bolts on the pump pulley and turn the pump shaft clockwise. If the motor starts up well, but works loudly and with a knock-out turn the pump shaft counterclockwise.
If the machine is equipped with an injection pump of the Lucas EPIC type, if the injection is incorrectly installed, the "check en- gine" lamp may light up.
The control system of injection pump Lucas EPIC allows an error in setting the initial angle of injection of 4 angular degrees.
Injection pump Bosch control the installation of the initial angle of injection does not have how correctly it is installed can be judged by how the engine starts, how noisy, what smoke is or there is no smoke and according to the results of the test trip.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fungshwai » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:31 am

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry for the late reply, was on duty past few day. Engine was pinned good but I can recheck. After they were removed I rotated engine twice and pins fit right back in.
Will investigate injectors tomorrow.
fungshwai
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cherniy_chack » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm

fungshwai,I think that you need to increase the initial angle of injection.To do this, you need to get to the injection pump pulley, release the four bolts securing the pulley to the hub and turn the shaft clockwise for the nut on the injection pump shaft.I many times removed-put the timing belt on FT and I know that after such an operation there is always a need for additional adjustment of the initial angle of injection.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fungshwai » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 pm

Update....started bus and cracked the injector lines individually and got no change in engine rhythm on cylinder 3. Changed the injector and it made no difference. Which makes me assume that that cylinder isn't firing. Which means a possibly damaged valve...Would I be correct?
fungshwai
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Which means a possibly damaged valve...Would I be correct?

fungshwai,when the piston meets the valve, the valve is usually not damaged.
When the piston meets the valve, the rod of the pusher is usually bent.
So whether it can be found by removing the valve cover and inspecting the condition of the rods of the third cylinder. The bent barbars have a large clearance.
The bent rod can be pulled out of the mechanism without disassembling it, it is usually sufficient to unscrew the adjusting screws from the rocker arms.
After replacing the new or straighteners of the rods and installing them in place, you need to adjust the gaps in the timing mechanism.
But before removing the cover, you need to remove the third nozzle from the head of the unit, close the nozzle channel with a cork folded from paper or cloth, simply close it with your finger and do not turn on the fuel supply by cranking the crankshaft with the starter.
If the timing mechanism does not have any damage, the stopper will sharply fly out of the channel, the finger can not be held.
Then the cause of the failure of the third cylinder in another.
If the plug does not fly out or the finger can be held, then it is possible to remove the valve cover.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits