*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 caliper problem ??

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk5 caliper problem ??

Postby fuzzedup » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 am

Hi all,
Just a quick one. Ive got a 99 mk5 smiley campervan and after whipping off the front wheels to refurb the rims I noticed that both sides capliers were binding very tight to the discs. I've only had the van a few wks and it had been standing for 12months so I was wondering if the capliers need stripping and the seals replacing. Anyway i've found a repair kit on ebay for a mk4 transit caplier, would these be ok for a mk5 ??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit ... SwQXZZ3Pqn

cheers all,

Paul
fuzzedup
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk5 caliper problem ??

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:10 pm

Its rare for calipers to seize but its the piston(s) when they do.

Far more common for flexis to collapse... slacken the bleed nipple and re-test
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby fuzzedup » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:01 pm

MinorMatt wrote:Its rare for calipers to seize but its the piston(s) when they do.

Excellent, will do. What am i looking for once ive opened the bleed nipple ?? I take it if it squirts out then its the piston else the hoses ??
fuzzedup
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:56 pm

fuzzedup,on Mk5 another design of the guide fingers of the calipers.
One steel finger with thread and in the support two bronze bushings.
Inside the other finger is a bolt, and in the support rubber sleeve.
http://www.elcats.ru/ford/Parts.aspx?Mo ... 3%D0%BF%D0 % BF% D0% BE% D1% 80% D1% 82% D1% 8B +% D0% B4% D0% B8% D1% 81% D0% BA% D0% BE% D0% B2% D1% 8B% D1% 85 +% D1% 82% D0% BE% D1% 80% D0% BC% D0% BE% D0% B7% D0% BE% D0% B2
Your set on Mk3
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:41 pm

fuzzedup wrote:
MinorMatt wrote:Its rare for calipers to seize but its the piston(s) when they do.

Excellent, will do. What am i looking for once ive opened the bleed nipple ?? I take it if it squirts out then its the piston else the hoses ??

If its still sticky its the pistons, if it shoots out its the hose
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby fuzzedup » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:21 pm

well i undid the bleed nipple and nowt came out, gave it a press of the brake pedal and then fluid came out. Anyway tried to remove the caliper to stick on the bench and the retaining bolts are stuck fast. Anyway ive ordered some pro gas and a can of "freeze off" and hopefully this will get them shifted..
fuzzedup
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:35 pm

My present V reg van had been standing in a field so I had a similar problem to you. The discs were rusty except for the bit covered by the pad. The calipers were full of rust and the pads were dragging on the discs.
You need to have blocks ready to support the caliper when you take it off the axle stub. To remove the calipers you need to undo the bolts holding the caliper anchor bracket, not the sliding pins. These bolts are not (usually) rusted, they are secured with locktite. The bottom one is usually easy using a lot of steady pressure with a knuckle bar. The top one is obstructed by the shocker but can be undone by firstly using the same knuckle bar to unstick the locktite then using 3/8" then 1/4" drive sockets which will clear the shocker. Works for me. You need to wriggle the pads past the disc then rest the caliper on the previously mentioned support blocks. With mine, the discs cleaned up with 180 grit wet and dry, after grinding off the lip on the edge. You can then do what you need to the calipers resting on blocks. My pistons just needed moving and pressing back in, still working after 2 yrs.
Squirty stuff won't help. If you mangle the top bolt head put it in the bottom and use the bottom bolt with a good head in the top.
May be time to replace the discs and pads. You can check/regrease the wheel bearings whilst the caliper is off.
Works for me.2.
*** The above is for the 5 stud hub, don't know for the 6 stud hub. You don't mention single or twin rear wheel.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby cherniy_chack » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 pm

How badly worn are the brake discs and brake pads?
What is the thickness of the discs, what type of disc: solid or vented?
What is the thickness of the working layer of brake pads?
If wear of these parts is more than permissible, the brake pistons become in the holes with a skew and cease to return back under the elastic forces of the rubber brake cuffs, which leads to jamming of the brake pads and brake calipers.
After a year of downtime, you need to seriously deal with the restoration of the front brakes.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:36 am

The problem can be connected with the fact that the brake hoses are clogged with corrosion protections of the clamps that secure the hoses to the front axle racks.
this happens very often on old machines Transit.
I also had it.
It is necessary to open the clamps with a sharp screwdriver and other tools, clean the inner surface of the clamps from rust and again clamp the clamps by moving the hose.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fuzzedup » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 am

cherniy_chack wrote:How badly worn are the brake discs and brake pads?
What is the thickness of the discs, what type of disc: solid or vented?
What is the thickness of the working layer of brake pads?
If wear of these parts is more than permissible, the brake pistons become in the holes with a skew and cease to return back under the elastic forces of the rubber brake cuffs, which leads to jamming of the brake pads and brake calipers.
After a year of downtime, you need to seriously deal with the restoration of the front brakes.

I've checked the pads and discs (vented) and to honest they are pretty healthy, the pads have plenty of meat on them and the discs just need a quick once over with some wet and dry. thus makes me think thy must have been replaced within the last couple of years. another problem I've found it that the star torx sliding bolt on both calpiers has started to round out so I need to really to take my time with them else ille strip the head will need to drill them out. Anyway my first job is to release the two caliper holding bolts and get the calipers on the. bench... ille keep you posted :)
fuzzedup
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:14 pm

Unless the slides are stuck you don't need to touch the torx bolts, just undo the caliper bracket bolts as previously advised. You can do the work on support blocks at the van.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:41 pm

fuzzedup,it is difficult to judge a malfunction through the Internet and in another language. :D
But in any case, I understand what is at stake.
After long parking, the front disc brakes are locked.
There can be many reasons: rust as cement has fixed discs and pads;
rust fixed calipers on the guides, rust in the fixing clamps blocked the release of brake fluid from the brake cylinders in the calipers back into the master cylinder.
There can be simultaneously all the named reasons and those which are not named.
In the first two cases it is enough to knock with a soft hammer on the calipers and shoes and the disk can be cranked.

In the third case, the disc can be rotated after a part of the brake fluid has been removed from the system by a bleeder from the system and the disc is locked again after one or more brake applications
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits