*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Inlet manifold stud sheared...

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Inlet manifold stud sheared...

Postby Mk5swbhighroof » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:21 pm

I noticed a slight whistling noise from the engine today, such as you get when the fan belt slips a bit. Expecting it to go away by the end of the road, it didn't. So head under bonnet, checked belts, fine. Whilst there, I'm having another root around the various hoses and pipes (see other post about that..) and whilst there I'm also giving all the manifold nuts a quick tug to check them, when i found that one stud for the second cylinder manifold has snapped. I can feel the top of the stud, so removal should in theory be easy, but would mean removing all the gubbins on top of the engine.
So, before I order gaskets etc, what should I look out for that the Paynes "manual" has missed?
Mk5swbhighroof
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Inlet manifold stud sheared...

Postby Chug » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 pm

Use a wire brush to clean any rust and crap off the remaining nuts/studs and soak them with wd40 for a day or so, use a single hex socket and give it a thump with a hammer to seat it well on the nut before fitting the ratchet and starting to turn it, otherwise providing all the other bits undo ok there is nothing to cause any problem.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits