*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Advice on Limp Mode 1998 TD 2.5 4GB

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Advice on Limp Mode 1998 TD 2.5 4GB

Postby Timavard » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:48 am

Hi all, so as stated in the Subject my van is in limp mode. Now i've read up alot on what the common problems could very well be for this model and what the signs are. So to be as clear as possible i'll provide all of the things i've noticed that could help identify the problem. I've had a mechanic run a ODM tst to no results, not sure which one he had, but was showing anything.

Prior to Limp: Was running great, even taking off faster than normal the days before
Prior: Noticed oil leaking from turbo seals and around, and also found oil in the air intake coming from the top of the head into the turbo. Possibly Blow by?
After: Replaced hosing from the head to the turbo and can hear the turbo whistling very loud now, and also like an air leak/compressor type of sound.

I can't drive it at the moment so these sounds are occurring in neutral. Currently im replacing the turbo, air filter, hosing from and to the turbo, intake hosing from air filter and top of head cover. It starts, idles and even accelerates perfectly. But when driving is drops into Limp.

I've read that blow by can be caused from an over boost, which is why im replacing the air filter all the hosing for air leaks and even the turbo as they're quite cheap in Australia.

I'd appreciate your advice in letting me know what the issue could be that's causing limp mode, and also having oil in the turbo. I'm totally unsure if these things are related to one another, just mentioning to cover as many possibilities. Thanks all!
Timavard

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits