*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk5 turbo conversion info

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

mk5 turbo conversion info

Postby fordmaniac » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:48 pm

ive got the low horsepower 2.5 diesel engine in my van and have been collecting the parts to do a turbo conversion on it as the power especially on hills is dire , the thing that concerns me is my van stars 1st time and is really reliable but on reading the forum there are some issues with smoking and pump mixture issues after conversion , i dont want to change the origional injectors due to cost , also im not into high speed i just want to convert it so its got more guts pulling and on hills..ive blanked the egr off and its fitted with the bosch pump..any info appreciated cheers gaz
fordmaniac
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: mk5 turbo conversion info

Postby gotgcoalman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Try turning the mid range and top end screws up on the bosch pump first and see if that gives you enough Umph.
I'm regularly full loaded or as close to be still legal in my NA nanna Di and it pulls well up hills.
Ok if I'm in too high gear it'll pump a bit of black smoke out.
If you do turbo it you'll have to up the fueling anyway and adjust the pump timing.
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby fordmaniac » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:46 pm

yea thanks which screws on the pump do you alter and which way cheers gaz
fordmaniac
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gotgcoalman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:41 pm

one lives under the security cap on the top. 2 turns max is the recomended.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3968

The other is on the back.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=166362&p=1413546&hilit=bosch+pump+adjustment#p1413546
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi, fordmaniac!
Do not need to change the original nozzles to the turbo-nozzles.
Turbo nozzles are shorter by two millimeters.
The screw on the fungus under the lid can be screwed more than two turns.
Before the appearance of black smoke during acceleration. Then a little twist-until the smoke disappears.
This screw regulates the fuel supply at low revs. When the screw is tightened, the supply of the fuel is increased and the engine power at low revs the power will increase.
With such a motor the ride becomes pleasant!
The second screw at the rear of the pump, when it is twisted, increases fuel flow throughout the entire speed range and loads.
Usually it has a limiter, the old worn-out fuel pump has no limiter.
You should remove the limiter and increase the fuel supply.
Screw the screw for a half turn and check the operation of the motor in the movement of the machine.
The idling speed may increase. To normalize the idling speed, the thrust screw of the gas lever must be unscrewed.
Thus, by adjusting the three screws, you can get a good acceleration with a low engine speed, high power to move uphill, a little smoke and normal idling speed.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:40 am

To get more oomph you need more fuel, just adding more air via a turbo will do very little unless you have airflow/overfueling issues to start with.

The problem with just winding more fuel through low flow injectors is it raises the pump loads, this leads to the cambelt wearing rapidly if you go too far - ask me how I know ......

For a N/A conversion, the stock pump will match the cam timing better. The later 98(?) 636 14# pumps have slightly more capacity and suit the later RSM TD injectors which give a much nicer result - sort of semi pilot injection with makes the injector noise quieter. If fitting TD injectors, use the thinner TD injector seals.

Mine was a 80K mile 70PS and ran a 141 pump with 85PS injectors and 20ish Psi boost, with fueling adjusted to just smoke under full load. It was amusingly fast and needed very little encouragement to run into the governor at 85 - 4.56 diff.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits