*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine noise smiley

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Engine noise smiley

Postby Vini'sAutoserve » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:32 am

Hello trannie experts, not sure if this is the right place to post as I can't seem to create a new post.

I have a 1998 VG 2.5 diesel smiley and every now and then I get a very loud screeching noise similar to a slipping fan belt. The noise sounded like it was coming form the alternator of which I have replaced, all the drive belts are also new. I have also replaced the bearings on the belts driveline. The noise is only on the initial start up and not there all the time. After the revs are increased it then disappears.

Anyone come across this before.
Vini'sAutoserve
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Engine noise smiley

Postby F111ORY » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 am

Vini'sAutoserve wrote: The noise is only on the initial start up and not there all the time. After the revs are increased it then disappears.

Anyone come across this before.

In my experience this usually the fan belt and happens when the battery is on its last legs
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Engine noise smiley

Postby vanfox » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:32 am

It is indeed the alternator belt screeching. Both my vans do it on start up, both have new Bosch batteries. I have a theory the belt don't sit completely in the pulley grooves. Come the warm weather I'm gonna take half a mil of my spare pulley and see if it cures it. I have a rev counter, driven from the alt.r which don't work whilst the screech is......screeching, indicating it's not charging until the screech stops.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:16 am

Check and clean up the main battery and charging leads - soldering the terminals works a treat.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby cherniy_chack » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Guys, you have indicated the reason correctly-slips the generator belt.
The way to solve the problem was not indicated.
You just need to pull the belt generator.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Vini'sAutoserve » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:05 am

Greetings all of you that replied.

Thank you for all your inputs.

Vini.
Vini'sAutoserve
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Vini'sAutoserve » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:18 am

vanfox wrote:It is indeed the alternator belt screeching. Both my vans do it on start up, both have new Bosch batteries. I have a theory the belt don't sit completely in the pulley grooves. Come the warm weather I'm gonna take half a mil of my spare pulley and see if it cures it. I have a rev counter, driven from the alt.r which don't work whilst the screech is......screeching, indicating it's not charging until the screech stops.

Vanfox, your theory is something I actually considered. My reason for this is that the screeching actually increases in intensity as time goes by, I imagine that this is due to the points/tips parts of the belt grooves wear lower which would make the gap between the pulley and the belt tips increase even more!!!

Let me know how your machining goes when you hit it.

Vini
Vini'sAutoserve
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby mayon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:50 pm

IMG_3282.JPG
IMG_3278.JPG
IMG_3276.JPG
I had this problem with my transit, the front alternator mount was elongated causing the pulley to run out of alignment.
As a quick fix I tried some two part cold weld filler and filed it out with a rat tailed file, Also replaced the bolt.
It's bean over a year now ok so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mayon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits