*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Passenger side air vent, how to get to it and repair it?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Passenger side air vent, how to get to it and repair it?

Postby eresseraca » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:04 pm

I noticed today that the adjustable grille on the passenger side air vent (in the cab) has broken or taken a hit at some point.

One of the flaps along with a metal clip/spring has fallen into the vent, two flaps remaining but are disconnected from each other. I can the third one lying in the tube, just past the second flap that opens and closes the tube.

Before going by the trial/error method removing one pice at a time would you fellas care to point me in the right direction? :) How do I remove the vent and/or frame so I get that last flap one out of there and reassemble/fix the adjustable grille?

Many thanks! 8)
eresseraca

Re: Passenger side air vent, how to get to it and repair it?

Postby eresseraca » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Alright, figured it out by trial and error after all ;)

So if anyone else got a broken or loose flap on the air vent grille, this is one way to do it.

Started by removing the cup holder/tray on top of the dash, makes the tubes visible and thought I could push the whole air vent and frame out of the dash. It's possible I guess but it's attached in such a way to the air tubes that I couldn't figure out how to get it out.

The easier way is to, from outside the dashboard use a flat screwdriver and insert it between the frame and the grille, the grill pivots vertically to adjust angle and is attached to the frame on both sides with a little plastic pegs, one on each side. I put the screwdriver next to the peg and was able to stretch the plastic grille frame enough to get the pegs out of the holes in the frame, one at a time and then just pull it out of there, pick the loose flap up from behind, reassemble and push the grill back in place so that the plastic pegs slide into the holes in the frame again to be able to pivot up and down like before.
eresseraca

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits