*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Trying to replace main lead to starter - stuck?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Trying to replace main lead to starter - stuck?

Postby GSXR » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:12 pm

So it was the cable?

I have just replaced the starter but still no joy, just clicking... The terminals on battery and all leads to solenoid and starter look/seem good.

Seems like the starter motor isn't 'man enough' to turn engine over.

I started a new thread here ... Any help/advice appreciated...

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=186178
GSXR
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Trying to replace main lead to starter - stuck?

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:59 pm

Hello,GSXR!
On the video, your new starter?
Just clicks and does not twist ...
The probability that a new starter is faulty is very small, but this is possible.
It is more likely that the battery and / or power cables from the battery to the starter and from the battery to the car body are faulty.
For verification, I use two pieces of stranded wire with a cross section of about 5 ... 10 square millimeters long about 1 meter each. By these wires I connect the starter to the battery.
If the starter normally works without load, then it can be considered as serviceable.
If after installing the starter on the machine it does not work, then the power cables or the battery are faulty.
If the replacement of the battery by a known good does not lead to starting the engine, then the cables can be considered faulty.
The usual problem of cables is the poor contact of the cable with the tips due to corrosion. The places of poor contact heat up very much.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits