*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Putting engine back together

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Putting engine back together

Postby Camsley » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:47 pm

First of all, ive got to say what a great forum. I have a 1990 transit 2.5 di old ice cream van, which i bought as a little project. It was smoking like crazy and very lumpy when i got it and was told the timing was a “fraction out” hmm. With Some trepidation i attempted to adjust the timing, it went well, smoking cut down a lot, but still there a bit again listened to geniuses who told me as its been stood it will clear on a run. So using the excellent guide on this forum i decided to change the timing belt myself, took ages but i got there. It sounded sweet so took for a blast, when i got back the smoke was worse than when I first got the old girl.
Sorry about this i could go on for a bit but ill not bore you all, i removed the head for reconditioning and discovered the top of the pistons all had cracks where the valves had hit them, so i removed the engine completely and stripped it down to send that in for reconditioning also, my worry is i didnt mark all the bolts or take pics and by the time it comes back all shiny i will put it back together wrong or miss something out.
So in short (lol) has anylone any links or info on guides that may help. I think im going to need it, quite proud of myself so far as most ive ever attempted spanner wise is fitting a towbar.
Again apologies for droning on or if i have posted in wrong bit.
Camsley

Re: Putting engine back together

Postby cherniy_chack » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:01 pm

Usually the smoke when running such old motors due to wear of the injection pump and improper adjustment of the injectors.
I have the MK3 of 1990.
After the engine was repaired there was a strong smoke.
I replaced all the injectors with new ones.
The motor did not start.
I replaced the injection pump with a working one.
The motor wound up and worked without smoke.
But I had little power.
I installed the turbocharger and changed the injection pump settings.
There was a smoke at sharp dispersal, but the motor became more powerful.
Then I installed another injection pump, with a turbocharger LDA, Bosch VE 0 460 414 154.
The power remained, the smoke disappeared.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Putting engine back together

Postby vanfox » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:17 pm

If you don't know what you're doing get the Haynes book, no. 3019. Often derided but it should get you back together. I'd have bought a running motor from an MOT failure, still, all good experience, that's how I started on minis, suck it and see.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits