*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Yet Another Starter Motor Problem.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Yet Another Starter Motor Problem.

Postby GSXR » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:05 pm

I had a problem when the Mk5 transit decided to not start, So checked/charged battery which showing as charged and 'Strong' state on the charger.

Removed the starter/solenoid Motor which has been renovated about five times to my knowledge incl brush change. It wasn't looking too brilliant so bought a replacement.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-FORD-TR ... 2749.l2649

Fitted the new one and it still refuses to turn over I am getting the clicking but still non starter, engines not turning over.

I would have thought when ignition turned the starter should spin not just the cog fly forwards.

I have cleaned and checked all electrical connections they are sound.

I recorded the starter to check what the solenoid/starter was doing when ignition turned on and I attempted to start the engine.

https://youtu.be/b2AQaKD98mg

Any ideas as to what I should try next?

Any advice greatly apreciated...
GSXR
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Yet Another Starter Motor Problem.

Postby Chug » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:41 pm

The pinion gear should move forward as the solenoid energises and acts on the plunger, when the plunger is fully in and makes the connection with the battery live terminal and the brush box terminal the motor should spin, it sounds like your one isn't spinning properly so I would have a look at the brushes.

listen here at about 6 mins in, near the end, that is what it should sound like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjBBCpe7aWo
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby fuzzedup » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:00 am

I had exactly the same issues this wk. Put the volt meter on the battery and full charge, turn the key and just a click. I though that the bendix was stuck so gave it a few wacks but no joy. ended up buying a new battery and it fired straight up. Im sure this cold snap had killed one of the battery cells and even though it gave a good reading the CCA wasnt there to fire it up. these diesels do need a good kick to get them going
fuzzedup
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:06 pm

fuzzedup wrote:I had exactly the same issues this wk. Put the volt meter on the battery and full charge, turn the key and just a click. I though that the bendix was stuck so gave it a few wacks but no joy. ended up buying a new battery and it fired straight up. Im sure this cold snap had killed one of the battery cells and even though it gave a good reading the CCA wasnt there to fire it up. these diesels do need a good kick to get them going

The battery leads used to f-ck up on these
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby frankieboy231 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Yes, I agree. Had this trouble on/off for 2 years with 'lazy starter' , loads of clicking etc. Had new battery, new starter and eventually found that a quick tug on the 'red' lead to starter while missus was operating key that it started every time. Ergo - the lead was bug---ed. I've just changed this and the starter whizzes into life every time. Go for the cheaper option first and change the lead. I bought a heavy-duty jump lead and butchered it, many others suggest welding cable - the choice is yours.
frankieboy231
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby GSXR » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate the input.

I noticed the red cable copper strands are green (verdigris) where it goes into the connector on the battery so the copper strands have broken down I guess...

I will replace it and go from there ...

Cheers guys ..
GSXR
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:54 am

Replace the black one as well. I had the same problem, it was getting smoky hot with the key held on to start, while I wacked the starter. Do the earth to body strap as well, it's hidden under the slam panel. Mine is now bolted on top of the slam with a 13mm nut and bolt.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits