*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk3 2.5di, ticking noise; Piston rings?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk3 2.5di, ticking noise; Piston rings?

Postby andygee1138 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello all! Have not been here in a while but van has been as badly behaved as ever! STILL got a charging problem. Had MORE welding for the last mot and a while back the fuel filter fell off. On the motorway... Found it sitting on the starter but after refitting, cracking open the injectors and trying to bleed it I killed the battery... Oh and this was in the snow... :(
So now that's sorted and I have upped the idle (it's at 830. I built a tacho to check...) it ran beautifully. For a couple of days. Now however, at the top of the revs in 2nd and 3rd I am getting a worrying very rhythmic ticking from the front of the engine. Pretty sure it's not the box. Not been able to reproduce the sound stationary however. It just started, hasn't built up at all. My gut it saying piston rings. How screwed am I???
andygee1138
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk3 2.5di, ticking noise; Piston rings?

Postby Chug » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:39 am

I would expect any engine noise to be there in all gears at the same rpm, the fact that it is in 2nd and 3rd and not other gears leads one to summise that its something other than the engine.

Have you got axle stands?
jack it up and sit it on axle stands and run it in gear.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits