*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Some questions about a turbo purchase I just got

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Some questions about a turbo purchase I just got

Postby davetheshrew » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 pm

Hi

I just got myself a super bargain on a turbo manifold, oil feed/return pipes and turbo for a di. The egr port has been welded shut on the manifold sadly but other than that looks good to go, spindle has a little play but Ive seen worse, wastegate looks almost new! . I've pinched a inter cooler off a scrap Peugeot 807 and some pipes, got the turbo downpipe in the post, should be here Saturday and lastly got a spare sump tapped ready for a oil return. Only problem I foresee is using the existing intake manifold, any tips on pipework would be amazing.

I have a 190 minibus with a nana in it, brown spot injectors. The engine is tip top, has 150k on it, runs dreamy and pulls well for a 20 year old, the pump has never been messed with, totally factory spec, I dont think anyone has ever done anything major other than belt changes so Im happy.

I have a few questions.

Assuming you got lucky and had a good engine that might be pulling close to the rated HP, what kind of gains would you likely get out of this upgrade? Better question I guess is have you done a Di to TD conversion and what was it like once dialled in?

Did you have to do anything to the pump or did it provide enough fuel off the bat? Im aiming for little smoke as possible, currently it doesnt smoke at all, ever, which is weird but Im not complaining!

Any tips/suggestions/answers welcome
Drab green Transit 190 L High top minibus
turbo conversion with toyosports intercooler
davetheshrew
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Some questions about a turbo purchase I just got

Postby cherniy_chack » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi,davetheshrew .
You want converted DI to TD?
On this forum talking about like remake DI to TD.
I myself made such a mess.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Some questions about a turbo purchase I just got

Postby davetheshrew » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:48 am

yeap DI to TD mate. Im aware about the oil breather pipe needing relocating so I dont think I will make a mess haha
Drab green Transit 190 L High top minibus
turbo conversion with toyosports intercooler
davetheshrew
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits