*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cam belt change on mk5 turbo. Now runs rough

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Cam belt change on mk5 turbo. Now runs rough

Postby Pollock1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:39 pm

My local garage recently changed the cam belt on my mk5 transit turbo and since then although it starts and runs its down on power and runs a little rough

When on low revs it's like it's very lumpy and feels muffled.

I returned it to the garage and they say they checked the timing marks and the timings fine.

Could they have caused a problem if they didn't change the cam belt properly

Can anyone help
Pollock1

Re: Cam belt change on mk5 turbo. Now runs rough

Postby Frag » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Is this a standard factory ford turbo,still running its original EPIC fuel pump ?
Does the red engine warning lamp on dash work,what does it do at start up ,does it come on while driving ?
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby cherniy_chack » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:52 pm

The injection pump Lucas EPIC requires a very precise setting of the initial injection angle.
It is better to do this job with a scanner.
If there is no scanner, then you need to be patient and several times turn the injection pump shaft a very small angle.
After each operation, do a test run.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Pollock1 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi guys yes it's a Lucas pump ,

On start up it chucks out quite a bit of white smoke for the first several minutes.

It starts and drives but is a bit rough and down on power.

Prior to the cam belt change it ran really well and didn't smoke at all.

Is it possible the diesel pump timing has slipped if the garaged didn't peg the pump before they took the old belt off.

Cheers andy
Pollock1

Postby vanfox » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:39 pm

I strongly suspect the belt was fitted incorrectly. ( When I had my first van I took it to a garage to have the belt changed. Be ready at 4 o clock, they said, I turned up at 3.30, they were using levers to get the belt on!! Fortunately it ran until I sold it but since then I've always done my own belts, but I digress.)
The garage says they checked the "timing marks"....b******s! We use pins on the Di, there are no visible timing marks, makes me think they used chalk marks instead of pins. Maybe they didn't loosen the 13mm bolts on the IP pulley whilst setting the tension. As has been mentioned the IP can retard itself once the belt is off if not pinned, the belt could be one tooth out. I've dabbled with timing, retarding the IP gives the same result you have.
Possibly all you can do is go back and ask to see the pin set they used then insist on watching whilst they refit the belt ensuring they use the pins and loosen the IP pulley bolts. It's possible they disturbed some thing electronic with it being an Epic, who knows?
Changing the belt should make no difference to how the motor runs, it's only done for reliability.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby V184 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:19 am

If the timings out it should throw a code up
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby vanfox » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:07 am

I agree, point taken, but the OP don't mention the codes having been read or any attempt by the garage to read them. I doubt they know how, as neither do I although it has been mentioned here in the past. The mention of "timing marks" makes me suspect the IP retarded itself once released from the belt.
I'm beginning to think that as the old garage hands retire the new young things have little knowledge of the older transits. An examle is the ABS system. If you can't plug in a computer they don't know what to do. Apologies to any who do.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Frag » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:06 pm

The operation of the epic warning lamp may provide a clue to whether timing is correct or not.....
If,it still works,or has its bulb still fitted.....
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 pm

The EPIC injection control system allows an error in setting the initial injection angle + -4 angular degrees and itself adjusts the injection timing. If the deviation is large, the "Check" lamp should light up. The "Check" lamp should light up when the ignition is switched on and turn off 1-2 seconds after self-test control systems.
Judging by the description of the behavior of the motor during start-up and after start-up, the initial angle of the injection advance is incorrectly set.
A late injection was installed.
It is necessary to remove the protection of the timing belt and in several steps by turning the injection pump shaft clockwise while the injection pump pulley bolts is loosened.
After each operation, make a test trip.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits