*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 5 Bosch conversion losing power.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk 5 Bosch conversion losing power.

Postby Transittim » Wed May 09, 2018 12:13 am

I have received a great deal of help from the forum over the years regarding my transit that has been much appreciated.

The latest issue is that my 97 transit has been losing power, this is more noticeable when trying to accelerate up hills but is noticeable across all driving and seems to be progressively getting worse, I am not sure where to start but I will list all of what I think may possibly be relevant in the hope of some helpful pointers.

I did the epic to bosch conversion about 2 years ago with a pump/kit from dieselhead123, once the conversion was done it was pumping out the black smoke on full gas, I didn't adjust the pump just learnt to drive it without flooring it and making clouds
    Flooring it now produces no black smoke what so ever.
    I had the gearbox replaced with a second-hand one about 6 months due to a cracked bell housing.
    I then about a month ago had to replace the clutch fork which I did myself.
    After doing the clutch fork the idle was a bit lower so I adjusted the idle stop on the pump it was around this time that I noticed the loss of power, although thinking back it probably started earlier.
    Last week I had an issue with the engine not stopping when the ignition was turned off, tried giving it a rev at the same time to clear anything that might have been caught in the shut of valve but still didn't turn off so I stalled it. Since then though the issue hasn't happened again.]
    I am pretty sure this is a different issue but will list it just in case, when braking and going down through the gears, the brake pedal seems incremental when the rev's change, ie hit the brakes the pedal goes in a bit and feels firm, then on a change down the pedal needs to be pushed in a bit further to be firm and for the brakes to apply, and then again with another change down

My initial thought is to increase the fuel adjustment on the pump, although if this works I think it would likely only be temporary as it wouldn't be addressing what is causing the issue in the first place, the only other possibility I have come up with is that one of the reasons I have read that the shut of valve fails open can be due to metal debris from the pump failing.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk 5 Bosch conversion losing power.

Postby joinerman » Wed May 09, 2018 6:58 pm

When did it last have a fuel filter ?
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby davetheshrew » Wed May 09, 2018 8:06 pm

sounds like you havent drained the oil over time or overfilled it, or oil is going past the valve stem seals, sounds like symptoms of runaway diesel to me.

Drain all your oil, get the rocker cover off and start inspecting, also do what the last poster said, doesnt hurt to put in new filters. Please dont touch your pump until everything thats servicable is serviced first. Also when did your turbo last get servicced? might be time for a new cartridge.
Drab green Transit 190 L High top minibus
turbo conversion with toyosports intercooler
davetheshrew
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Wed May 09, 2018 11:00 pm

I would start with fitting a new fuel filter before anything else.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby davetheshrew » Thu May 10, 2018 12:56 am

The reason I mentioned oil issues was because of him mentioning the brakes, its implying that the oil pressure is being weird, changing down gives a surge of revs and sudden loss in pressure, messing up the servo? get what Im saying? also engine running after shutting off the pump, not a good sign..

I agree though, fuel filter first, if no change, start rolling up sleeves
davetheshrew
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Transittim » Thu May 10, 2018 1:22 am

davetheshrew wrote:sounds like you havent drained the oil over time or overfilled it, or oil is going past the valve stem seals, sounds like symptoms of runaway diesel to me.

Drain all your oil, get the rocker cover off and start inspecting, also do what the last poster said, doesnt hurt to put in new filters. Please dont touch your pump until everything thats servicable is serviced first. Also when did your turbo last get servicced? might be time for a new cartridge.

Guilty of both, oil leaks/burns a bit lately so have just topped up with fresh stuff, haven't actually drained it for a little while and last top up way too much was put it in, thought it would just do it thing and use up the excess but after checking it hasn't really gone down, so have just done an oil change (was well and truely due anyway) and about to take it for a run, the fuel filter was done in some time in the last year from memory, not 100% sure though. Will test it now after the oil change and then move onto the fuel filter if no difference, thanks for all the advice thus far.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu May 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Replacing the fuel filter does not hurt, but I think it will be useless.
It will be useful to bring a tube into the cockpit and install a pressure gauge to measure the boost pressure. If the boost pressure is less than 0.6 bar, you need to think about replacing the turbocharger cartridge.
Stalling of the shut-off valve and reduction of engine power can be a clear sign of catastrophic wear and tear or pollution of the fuel pomp .
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Transittim » Fri May 11, 2018 10:53 am

Well, I think I may have found the culprit, I first did go and grab a fuel filter, quickly fitted it up and took off with no noticeable improvement, got to my destination a couple of minutes away and there was a river of diesel come out from underneath, after a while of fiddling with the filter trying to get it to fit I realised there was what looked like a manufacturing defect with the filter that stopped it sealing properly, so put the old one back in.

Then today, driving along and the accelerator cable snaps, just behind the pedal, I am guessing this was stretching before it let go and hence the lack of power is due to a loss of throttle, will have to replace the cable to be sure though.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transittim » Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 am

Just confirming that a new accelerator cable has fixed this problem, thanks again for all the help.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby davetheshrew » Tue May 15, 2018 7:58 am

what an odd place to go, never heard of this happening haha
davetheshrew
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits