*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bigger alternator

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Bigger alternator

Postby retty75 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Hi guys.
I own a Transit 2.5, 1993, 4da engine camper and i want to put a bigger alternator. Mine in 70 amps now. The reason is that i want to use an 1500 w invertor to power the air conditioner on the road. I got 2 ideas. One to fit a second alternator where the power steering pump should be - i don't have power steering... Can i do this by using the power steering original mount ? Or can i fit an original alternator mount ? And the second idea is to put a bigger alternator instead of mine. Can you plese tell me a code and the producer of a bigger alternator that fit instead of the original ? I understand that i need a 150 amp alternator and 250 amp battery.
Sorry for my english...
Thank you very much
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
retty75
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Bigger alternator

Postby gotgcoalman » Wed May 09, 2018 10:02 pm

think there's a 90 amp as standard fit.

Although fitting a second one viewtopic.php?f=18&t=139218
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Riggard » Thu May 10, 2018 8:03 am

Yeh, there's a 95 standard one, it's in my camper with 2x85ah batteries, does the job. That's the route i'd take. Think they're like ~150 new and it saves you the hassle of having to fabricate brackets etc.
If you're interested I also have one lying around which is for sale, i'm located in Holland tho.
Riggard
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby retty75 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Thank you very much gotgcoalman . I have search the forum but i did'n find the post. Thank you for the link. Riggard,unfortunately i'm from Romania so it's very distant to accept your offer,but thank you.
retty75
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu May 10, 2018 5:41 pm

I found a 14V 200A generator.
Its installation as an additional will require replacement / alteration of the power steering pump drive pulley for the possibility of using a multi-belt. The conventional V-belt does not allow transferring the necessary power from the engine to the generator.
It is possible to install the 200 A generator as the main one, then a standard generator with a vacuum pump will have to be installed in place of the power-steering pump with a conventional wedge-shaped belt.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-AMP-ALTER ... 3a792a6aef
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby retty75 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:57 pm

I don't have power steering unfortunately...
And yes i will have to use a v-shape belt from the engine to the new alternator. You are telling me that it will not be enough friction to turn the alternator ? Not even if i don't have the power steering pump ?
retty75
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby retty75 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Hello
I have finally bought another 95A alternator ( 98VB10K359BB Magneti Marelli ) to replace mine A 127, 70 A alternator.
I do not know where to connect the minus. Mine looks like this. Plus go to B and minus goes to D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
retty75
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby retty75 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:27 pm

The new one looks like this
retty75
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby retty75 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:30 pm

I have to conect the negtive to this jack ?
And if so, on wich of the 2 blades ?
Thank you very much !
retty75
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby vanfox » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 am

The two tags on the side are for the charge warning light and the rev counter, if fitted, NOT the negative wire. You should have lifted the cover on the old alt,r before taking the pic, can't see what's underneath. The main battery lead, which may be red, or black with red markers at each end, goes on the stud just above the spades.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby retty75 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:23 am

For the main batery lead i'm ok ( it's red ).
I have "open " the insulation of the wires.
The black wire ( it's really blue/white ) look like it goes to the temperature sensor.... and i don't know where to wire it to the new alt.
Edit...
I have mesure with a multimetre and on the black ( blue/white ) wire is minus.
On the new alternator i have found the same D+ and W marks, so, i think that i can keep the same configuration, so D+ to D+. At least my logic say so...
retty75
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Correctly your logic says.
The return connector for connecting the excitation circuit and the tachometer already bought?
The pinout is: W-pin tachometer.
+ D-pin excitation.
http://fordtransit.ucoz.ru/_fr/13/1687544.jpg
In the picture, excitation pin is denoted by I
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:30 pm

If you have a tachometer, after replacing the alternator Lucas with an Mitsubishi alternator, the tachometer readings will increase by 10%.
The drive pulley of Lucas is larger than that of Mitsubishi.
If you have a digital tachometer, then set the conversion factor of 2.42 instead of 2.22.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby retty75 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:20 pm

cherniy_chack wrote:If you have a tachomete...

I have finished my conversion and it's working well. I don't have a tachometre so i left the pin "blind". Thank you again for your help.
retty75
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby nandobarreto » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:47 pm

retty75 wrote:Hi guys.
I own a Transit 2.5, 1993, 4da engine camper and i want to put a bigger alternator. Mine in 70 amps now. The reason is that i want to use an 1500 w invertor to power the air conditioner on the road. I got 2 ideas. One to fit a second alternator where the power steering pump should be - i don't have power steering... Can i do this by using the power steering original mount ? Or can i fit an original alternator mount ? And the second idea is to put a bigger alternator instead of mine. Can you plese tell me a code and the producer of a bigger alternator that fit instead of the original ? I understand that i need a 150 amp alternator and 250 amp battery.
Sorry for my english...
Thank you very much

Hi Rettty!
Do you mind to share how good was the idea of using a portable AC as AC while driving? I'm planning to do the same here.
Best regards,
Fernando Barreto
nandobarreto
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits