*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

pinto 150 mk4 power steering questions

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

pinto 150 mk4 power steering questions

Postby duratalk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:33 am

Hi, I have a petrol 1992 150 8 seater we are going to use as a weekend camper, just got her with a genuine 24000 miles and in superb condition! She is very retro and we love her but the steering is way to heavy for my wife to drive so would like to fit a power steering rack and bits. Can anyone shed some light on what is the best or easiest way to fit this? I have found twin belt pumps from capri's and sierra's that I assume could be fitted? Ours is a twin fan belt. Will any power rack from a mk3/4/5 work? Are there any racks that need less steering wheel turns to go from lock to lock? Does anyone have a kit for sale?

Luke.
2009 mk7 mwb medium roof 350 awd crew cab.

'You're never too old to learn something stupid.'
duratalk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: pinto 150 mk4 power steering questions

Postby Stule » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi mate, all i can say is, the easiest way is find MK4/5 power steering pump and rack and put it on. Because fidling with pumps from other cars is pain it is possible off course but you must make holders that will hold pump in center if it isnt in centre belt will snap soon and that pump will be no god in no time because the bearing will fail. Also pump pipe exits must be good oriented and that depends on engine on which that pump was. then you need to find some pipes with lenghts and curves to your PS Bottle and so on, and you stil need a rack from transit so its best scenario to find transit for parts and buy every powersteering piece from it and done. You will be sure it is fit to your Tranny, and sure if you find Transit that have all of that on the car you can have a every bolt to that will be needed. Cheers
Stule
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Hondekop » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:32 pm

duratalk wrote: Are there any racks that need less steering wheel turns to go from lock to lock?

Maybe the serve assisted ones are. A quicker rack will be steering even heavier though (non servo vs. non servo).
1992 MK4 LWB van, 2.5 TD 101 HP
Hondekop
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby duratalk » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:17 pm

thanks folks, thats great advice I recon but I am having trouble finding any 2nd hand kit to fit the old van..

Luke.
2009 mk7 mwb medium roof 350 awd crew cab.

'You're never too old to learn something stupid.'
duratalk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits