*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Blown Turbo in Serbia

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Blown Turbo in Serbia

Postby Bulletguy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:53 pm

Had the misfortune to suffer a knackered turbo whilst in Serbia (Mk5 Tdi). Had choice between hanging around waiting for them to source a used one (if possible), or having new with warranty so opted for the latter as i'm touring. No idea of price in UK but local Bosch guy charged me £855 with labour. :shock:

Big dent in the pocket but at least back on the road. :(
Bulletguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Blown Turbo in Serbia

Postby loot » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:13 pm

For that price I'm going to assume that the manifold bolts sheared off in the manifold and head and had to have the head removed and sent off to an engineers to be redrilled, polished and ported then the timing kit replaced and obviously the injectors got damaged so they were replaced along with the glow plugs, then the last nut to finish the rebuild was lost inside 1 of the cylinders which meant removing the head again and a second gasket kit required.

Fortunately it all went well in the end apart from the turbo wasn't in stock at Garrett but a slightly cheaper alternative was available from 你被撕掉了.

Frankly I think you've got a nerve suggesting it was expensive after the problems the mechanic has had. :shock:

:lol:

On a serious note, it usually goes expensive when you go on holidays etc :-(

Least it is fixed eh :wink:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Bulletguy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:28 pm

Nope tho' he did have the manifold off. No idea how it happened as the van had been running fine at a steady 60-65mph on a stretch of motorway and nothing to indicate something was wrong. I'd just tanked up at a service area and decided to have a coffee when a local guy came to tell me there was oil seeping down one front wheel. The Bosch place was only a few hundred yards away and once over a pit, they showed me the sad state!

The expense certainly wasn't part of my plan thats for sure!
Bulletguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:39 pm

:(

I would say that dirty oil wears the seals down and eventually the core just gets damaged. Maybe some debris got in there too?

Regular oil and filters changes should maximise the life of the turbo :-)
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Bulletguy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:55 pm

loot wrote::(

I would say that dirty oil wears the seals down and eventually the core just gets damaged. Maybe some debris got in there too?

Regular oil and filters changes should maximise the life of the turbo :-)

Yes i agree and have always changed oil/filter every 6000ml.....in fact i had an oil and filter change last MOT two months ago. Maybe a swarm of mosquitos 'invaded' it... :D The place is full of the little blighters when the weather heats up or close to water.
Bulletguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cherniy_chack » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 am

Cartridges Turbine Garrett and turbines KKK are absolutely identical and their price is slightly more than 100 pounds sterling.Turbo cartridge K04 53049880001 53049880006 53049880008 53049880017 1113104 1057139 914F6K682AG Turbo for Ford Transit 2.5TD
Replacing the cartridge by a mechanic takes a maximum of two hours, for this there is no need to dismantle the turbine from the machine.
The "hot" part of the turbine remains on the machine, it is enough to dismantle the air ducts and the "cold" part, then the cartridge itself.
Four M6 bolts fix the "cold" part of the turbine to the cartridge and four M6 bolts secure the cartridge to the "hot" part.
If it is not possible to unscrew the bolts on the "hot part, it is better to remove the exhaust manifold from the head and unscrew the 3 nuts of the intake pipe from the exhaust system.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Bulletguy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:34 pm

cherniy_chack wrote:Replacing the cartridge by a mechanic takes a maximum of two hours, for this there is no need to dismantle the turbine from the machine.
The "hot" part of the turbine remains on the machine, it is enough to dismantle the air ducts and the "cold" part, then the cartridge itself.
Four M6 bolts fix the "cold" part of the turbine to the cartridge and four M6 bolts secure the cartridge to the "hot" part.
If it is not possible to unscrew the bolts on the "hot part, it is better to remove the exhaust manifold from the head and unscrew the 3 nuts of the intake pipe from the exhaust system.

Mine took way longer than that though what didn't help was a Montenegro/Swedish family turned up 2 hours after me with a problem the mechanics had difficulty with sorting so the guy working on my van seemed to then start on their car. I couldn't stand over the mechanic all the time...it wasn't possible, but i think the owner made sure he made 'good money' from a crazy foreigner he knew wasn't going to be in Serbia many more days. Bearing in mind the low average income in Serbia, he drove a new Mercedes GLC coupe and his wife turned up later in a Porsche Macan.

Oh and as for a receipt......what's that??? They don't "do" receipts in Serbia! Can't think why! :wink:
Bulletguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cherniy_chack » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:00 pm

Well, you in Serbia / Montenegro will be on average more rich than Ukrainians, but not very much.
And to deceive a foreigner with money is a sacred thing in any country.
Here one Briton wrote that he decided to prepare the car for a trip around Spain, so his houses were deceived with money.
If the turbine was in oil, but the oil consumption was less than 1 liter per 5,000 km, with replacement it was possible to wait.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Stule » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:04 pm

That's common thing they do for foreigners in any country on Balkan, that Turbo (in my country Bosnia and Herzegowina just by Serbia) new with labor in my Service is around 400 Euros no matter where are you from . So if anyone have a fail on Transit in Bosnia please call me and we will arrange something for any breakdown. I also have a tow truck Transit so no problems there. Here is my number if im not on forum. 0038762635007 Boris. And we will arrange something for you. Thanks
Stule
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Bulletguy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Stule wrote:That's common thing they do for foreigners in any country on Balkan, that Turbo (in my country Bosnia and Herzegowina just by Serbia) new with labor in my Service is around 400 Euros no matter where are you from . So if anyone have a fail on Transit in Bosnia please call me and we will arrange something for any breakdown. I also have a tow truck Transit so no problems there. Here is my number if im not on forum. 0038762635007 Boris. And we will arrange something for you. Thanks

Wish it had happened three weeks previous as that's where i was then...in Bosnia! I was basically stuffed as the guy knew I wouldn't be in Serbia for much longer and wanted to get back on the road. Didn't help much when he gave me the cost in Dinar which isn't easy to figure out against Euro. I kind of got a feeling i was being 'taken'!!
Bulletguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Stule » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:12 pm

That's common thing around here believe me. Never mind you have my contact from now on if road bring you in Bosnia and have a problem call or type on forum i'm here almost every day.
Stule
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Bulletguy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:04 am

Stule wrote:That's common thing around here believe me. Never mind you have my contact from now on if road bring you in Bosnia and have a problem call or type on forum i'm here almost every day.

Thanks for posting your contact number Stule. As i'm a member on motorhome forums it will be useful 'info' for any others touring outside EU which i will pass on. In fact it wouldn't be a bad idea if mods on the Transit forum agreed to a sub-forum section for mechanics in other countries to post their locality and contact detail.
Bulletguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:12 am

It is generally recommended that sending personal info is done by private messages rather than posted on an open forum.
We've had instances where the person gets called randomly by strangers causing trouble.
It also leads do dead contact numbers as they aren't kept upto date which means more work for us cleaning up the forum and explaining to ppl that the number isn't working etc.
It is also of no help on the forum as the forum members don't get the Q&A to resolve similar problems.

That's only my view though.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Bulletguy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:28 pm

loot wrote:It is generally recommended that sending personal info is done by private messages rather than posted on an open forum.
We've had instances where the person gets called randomly by strangers causing trouble.
It also leads do dead contact numbers as they aren't kept upto date which means more work for us cleaning up the forum and explaining to ppl that the number isn't working etc.

It is also of no help on the forum as the forum members don't get the Q&A to resolve similar problems.

That's only my view though.

Point taken.
Bulletguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits