*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Improving several aspects in Mk5 Transit Motorhome + images

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Improving several aspects in Mk5 Transit Motorhome + images

Postby tgferreira » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi all! I've got a MK5 Ford Transit that pulls my motorhome.

Here it is: http://i.imgur.com/MO6n5VV.jpg

It's from 94 and it is a 2.5D banana engine and I've got a bunch of things that I'd like to improve or fix. From my head, here's the list of future tasks:

-Power steering conversion;
-My blower motor only works in Max Speed;
-I want to improve it's perfomance;
-Normal maintenance;
-The exhaust is touching the long bars and making a lot of noise;
-It has a lot of rust...
-It is quite unstable and not very fast...
-I'd like to make it more silent on the inside.

So, by parts: the van is (according to the plate on the passenger door footwell), a type EFBEHL model 100L. The engine is a 4DA. Last year I improved it's performance *hugely* by giving it 1.5turns on the injection pump. This year, I am thinking of going the extra 0.5 turns, removing the throttle butterfly and maybe blanking the EGR (although this point is something I need to think about because I don't want to ruin our health as a whole). This increase in the diesel pump allowed me to get better mileage! It went from around 10L/100Km to 8.8L/100Km. With the current diesel prices in Portugal, how I would like to get it even lower! I also tried to make it more silent by applying some kind of noise-proofing material but without much success because the material was not appropriate at all. If I do it again, I'll need to spend more money on it.

Power Steering
Our main "problem" with the van at the moment is the fact that it is a manual steering. It keeps us fit but it is also tiring as hell. I've read in several places on this forum (great resource) that the conversion is possible but I still have some doubts.

I think that our steering at the moment is a "rack" one. Here's one picture of the underside of the van:
https://i.imgur.com/et32fkJ.jpg
Am I right?

If so, all I need is:
-Power steering pump + support;
-Power steering reservoir;
-Power steering rack with tubing.

Am I right or do I need something else? Also: this is a rather simple job, isn't it? I was quoted 200€ for all the parts from a parts van.

Blower motor
I think that the speed controller resistor must be burnt but I cannot find it. I looked attached to the blower but it is not there? Where should it be?

Improving performance + normal maintenance
Well, as I've said, I want to give the diesel pump an extra 0.5turns, remove the throttle butterfly and maybe remove the EGR. I also thought about giving it a valve adjustment. I read somewhere that it was needed every 20000miles so it's more than time. Do any of you have a good guide on how to do it? I'll have to research. Also: I will change the motor oil, the air filter and fuel filter. I tried to change the last last year but for some reason I could not do it. Live and learn...

Exhaust
Well, two years ago the exhaust broke before the muffler. It was noisy but... :D let me tell you, this engine sounds good! Upon fixing it maybe it was welded a bit to the side or it has moved in the meantime. I'll have to check what is it because it knocks on the long bars on the base of the van and it makes a lot of noise.

Rust
I don't know how to solve this yet. Do you have any ideas??

Making it faster and more stable
Well, for making it faster I have already written what I should to. At the moment the van reaches 100km/h (60mph) but not much more than that. I also have to say that it is quite unstable. On one hand, I think that it is normal because it measures 3.3 meters tall and it is more or less of a brick as far as aerodynamics goes. But... I think that this should be improved because it seems a bit unsafe. Should I replace the leaf springs or converting it to other ones? What should I verify to see if the van is performing top notch in these terms?

Making it more silent on the inside
Well, last year I purchase a type of rubber and floating floor insulating stuff and tried to make it more silent. I don't think it made much difference because the increase in mass was minimal. I am thinking about purchasing roof insulating material (that black sticky stuff, almost like what there is on the roads) to achieve this end. I know that there are better alternatives (like Dynamat) that are thicker and best at performing this function but It is rather expensive where that think I talked about costs 50€ for a roll of 1X 10meters. I'd like to apply this to the engine bay (that with time, lost all of its insulation) but I'm affraid it does not support such high temperatures. Also, I know that on the inside it will smell at the beggining but that as time proceeds, it looses such smell. Anyone with experience on this around?

Well, I think that's it! I really like this van, the torque it has and how reliable it is :)

Thanks!
tgferreira

Re: Improving several aspects in Mk5 Transit Motorhome + ima

Postby V184 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:27 am

whats it weigh ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MK3Di » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:56 am

Hello ,
you can keep your old steering...Look for a Opel Corsa electric power steering with controller ...You need only the poerer supply ,
+ and ground ,and the Steering works...
Greetings Heiko
1987, 2,5Di,early 4AB enggine,Mk3 Westfalia Nugget,cruise control,Power steering,airride with 15liter tank and compressor,auxiliary heater, keyless open,rimms 8J x14 ,235/60/14,5speed Mt75,intercooler RS ,IHI Turbo,oil cooler,and a lot more :mrgreen:
MK3Di

Postby tgferreira » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:40 pm

V184 wrote:whats it weigh ?

Hi V184!
According to our inspection (like the MOT on the UK that I've done a few days ago, it weights around 2750kg with one person inside, fuel tank at middle and not much else. It is quite heavy...

MK3Di wrote:Hello ,
you can keep your old steering...Look for a Opel Corsa electric power steering with controller ...You need only the poerer supply ,
+ and ground ,and the Steering works...
Greetings Heiko

Hi MK3Di!
Wow! Are you serious? :D Could you please provide me more information on what I'd need and what model of Corsa should it be??
And how is the installation done?
Thank you!! :D
tgferreira

Postby gotgcoalman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Blower motor
I think that the speed controller resistor must be burnt but I cannot find it. I looked attached to the blower but it is not there? Where should it be?

94 transit the resistor should be in the engine bay beside driverside headlight on a RHD. :D :wink:
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MK3Di » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Okay,take a look its from Germany
https://www.rennsportshop.com/media/ima ... 0006_0.jpg
EUR 199,00

EUR 199,00

inkl. 19 % USt zzgl. Versandkosten

Billiger gesehen ?

Gewicht 4,50 KG

Lieferzeit 1-2 Tage* (?)
Aktuell auf Lager: 8.00 Stk.

Sofort ab Lager lieferbar!

SERVOLENKUNG OPEL AGILA LENKUNTERSTÜTZUNG MIT STANDARD STEUEREINHEIT
Art.Nr. SL-A0006

not connected to FacebookFacebook "Like"-Dummynot connected to Google+"Google+1"-Dummynot connected to Twitter"Tweet this"-Dummy
Drehwinkelgeber im Servogehäuse
empfohlen für den Einbau im geschlossenen Fahrzeug.
1987, 2,5Di,early 4AB enggine,Mk3 Westfalia Nugget,cruise control,Power steering,airride with 15liter tank and compressor,auxiliary heater, keyless open,rimms 8J x14 ,235/60/14,5speed Mt75,intercooler RS ,IHI Turbo,oil cooler,and a lot more :mrgreen:
MK3Di

Postby tgferreira » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:03 am

gotgcoalman wrote:Blower motor
94 transit the resistor should be in the engine bay beside driverside headlight on a RHD. :D :wink:

Found it! :D The pins were broken. I'll try to solder them again to see if I can get it to work again without spending money on a new part :) Corrosion was what killed it. Thanks!
MK3Di wrote:Okay,take a look its from Germany
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.rennsportshop.com/media/images/org/image_SL-A0006_0.jpg</span>
EUR 199,00

EUR 199,00

inkl. 19 % USt zzgl. Versandkosten

Billiger gesehen ?

Gewicht 4,50 KG

Lieferzeit 1-2 Tage* (?)
Aktuell auf Lager: 8.00 Stk.

Sofort ab Lager lieferbar!

SERVOLENKUNG OPEL AGILA LENKUNTERSTÜTZUNG MIT STANDARD STEUEREINHEIT
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">Art.Nr</span>. SL-A0006

not connected to FacebookFacebook "Like"-Dummynot connected to Google+"Google+1"-Dummynot connected to Twitter"Tweet this"-Dummy
Drehwinkelgeber im Servogehäuse
empfohlen für den Einbau im geschlossenen Fahrzeug.

Hi!
Thanks for the image. Unfortunately, I don't understand if I need to buy that kit or if I can buy a motor and controller from a Corsa and adapt it myself. Is it too hard to adapt or is it plug and play? Ofcourse that with this option I'd prefer going the electrical steering route instead of the hydraulic one. Also, can it be a Corsa C motor or does it need to be from a B? If theres one guide available somewhere, could any of you point me in the right direction? All I've found so far is information about already existant kits :s
Thank you!
tgferreira

Postby tgferreira » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:27 pm

Hi all,

I ended up going the hydraulic power steering route mainly because I don't want to cut the steering column in half to later weld it again :) Besides that, a nice oportunity appeared and I think this will be easier to install and mount.

But... I've reached my first problem: I have no idea on how the power steering pump attaches to the engine. Maybe I am missing something? I got it with a bracket but maybe there is another one?

Here's some photos:

The pump (with bracket): https://i.imgur.com/UWM3HQD.jpg

The underside of my engine: https://i.imgur.com/HzQbsZT.jpg

Am I missing some part? Could any of you show me a picture of how this is mounted on your 2.5D engine?

Thanks! :)
tgferreira

Postby ernie b » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:24 am

You are missing a cast iron bracket that goes between the bracket you have and the engine block. It mounts using the three holes on the engine block in your pic and one on the front.
20180705_111241.jpg

Best pic I can get at the moment, I should have one on the shelf to photograph but it must be buried fairly deep
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ernie b
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Hondekop » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:01 pm

I know you have already decided, but here is quite some info on Corsa B/C Electric Power steering (EPAS):
http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/?s=epas

Ciao, Kai
1992 MK4 LWB van, 2.5 TD 101 HP
Hondekop
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby P4t » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Was about to post a photo of the bracket for reference. . but as it's a pump i've just removed from an engine that's going in a vehicle without power steering, the pump isn't needed & can be sold (as a whole assembly), I'm located in the south east UK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P4t
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Hondekop » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:17 pm

It is quite unstable

Check:
Tyre pressure
Wheel alignment
Balljoints
Suspension bushes
Shocks
Springs

Ciao, Kai
1992 MK4 LWB van, 2.5 TD 101 HP
Hondekop
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tgferreira » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your offers and answers. I've found someone locally that has the bracket and they will send it to me tomorrow.

In the meantime I was changing the rear diff oil and noticed that the van had lines going to what I first thought were the suspension bump stops. It was not... I have air suspension and I did not know it! :O

Following the lines I found a valve stem on the drivers door that when pumped, inflated the air bags. They were without any air. Unfortunately, I've got a leak somewhere in the circuit and I think it is this part: https://i.imgur.com/sfsqkVQ.jpg

This part was under a lever that is connected to the brake lines. I think that this lever is pressed when high braking is applied, letting the air out of the system and "leveling" the back part of the van. Am I right? I have 0 experience with air suspension.

Also: where can I find this part: any hydraulic store will sell it or does it need to be a specific one?

Thanks guys! :D
tgferreira

Postby vanfox » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:13 pm

The bolts for the steering pump bracket are really a pain to fit, clean the tapped holes out before you fit the bracket.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby tgferreira » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 am

vanfox wrote:The bolts for the steering pump bracket are really a pain to fit, clean the tapped holes out before you fit the bracket.

You reminded me that I need to purchase the bolts.

Does anyone know what thread they are? M8, M10, M12?? :)
tgferreira

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits