*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK5 Engine Woe's

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK5 Engine Woe's

Postby Transittim » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:40 am

So I am having the following issues with my smiley, it's the 2.5TDi with the Bosch conversion.

It's not wanting to do cold starts (winter here at the moment but that normally means only 5-10degree mornings) but once it's warm it seems to start fine, I have read all 10 pages of they cold start issue thread but most of that doesn't seem applicable as it seems to be turning over at quite a quick speed but it takes about 10sec of running the starter for it to kick to life in a splutter and cloud of smoke but after that seems fine, for disclosure sake it has new dual batteries, dual earth leads and I have cleaned the connections.

It seems to have developed a diesel leak at the back of the Bosch pump (hoped I had seen the last of that issue saying goodbye to the Lucas epic) I have attached a pic showing where the drip is occurring at a drop about every 3 seconds.

It also isn't turning off with the key so I am having to stall it to make the engine stop.

Its also recently had an oil and filter change.

Hoping someone might be able to at least provide some clues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: MK5 Engine Woe's

Postby Chug » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 am

That is the engine mounting block at the back of the pump, so fuel could be running down from anywhere on the pump, BUT you say the stop solenoid isn't working, so I would start by checking if it is leaking from there, then check all the connections to the pump to make sure they are tight, if the pump is leaking it will cause lack of pressure in the pump and make starting harder.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dumper » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:37 am

And if it’s not stopping on the key and assumeing you have wired up the stop correct eg not live all the time stop solenoid not working is one of the first signs of pump breaking up inside small bits jam it up we used to get this problem on PSV bus,s sometimes fit a new stop and would be alright but most of the time it would be a new pump anywhere from a few days to months we didn’t get many that leaked diesel
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Transittim » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:45 am

Chuggy wrote:That is the engine mounting block at the back of the pump, so fuel could be running down from anywhere on the pump, BUT you say the stop solenoid isn't working, so I would start by checking if it is leaking from there, then check all the connections to the pump to make sure they are tight, if the pump is leaking it will cause lack of pressure in the pump and make starting harder.

Yeah, all the joints feel dry underneath so I don't think it is those, ill check the stop solenoid. I am crossing my fingers that it's not the fuel pump, the modified Bosch pumps are very few and far between here in Aus and this one took quite a while to arrive from the UK.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transittim » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:50 am

dumper wrote:And if it’s not stopping on the key and assumeing you have wired up the stop correct eg not live all the time stop solenoid not working is one of the first signs of pump breaking up inside small bits jam it up we used to get this problem on PSV bus,s sometimes fit a new stop and would be alright but most of the time it would be a new pump anywhere from a few days to months we didn’t get many that leaked diesel

It has shut off fine for the last two years since I have installed it so I think installation was fine, might just check it with the multimeter to make sure it hasn't shorted out with a positive wire though.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi,Transittim.
Do you live in Australia, where is winter now?
Forgive me for my curiosity.
And now a few questions on the case.
The injection pump Lucas EPIC was replaced by Bosch?
Who made the replacement?
Right after replacement, the engine was turned off from the key?
After what event did you stop turning off the key?
Do you have the opportunity to get to the cutoff valve wire and connect a test lamp to it?
If possible, connect the lamp parallel to the cut-off valve or in its place and monitor the operation of the lamp when the ignition is switched on and when it is turned off.
Poor starting of a cold motor or after a long standstill even in warm weather?
The answers to my questions will help us to understand the reasons for your troubles.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Transittim » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:38 pm

cherniy_chack wrote:Hi,Transittim.
Do you live in Australia, where is winter now? Yes.
Forgive me for my curiosity.
And now a few questions on the case.
The injection pump Lucas EPIC was replaced by Bosch? Yes.
Who made the replacement? dieselhead123 from on here.
Right after replacement, the engine was turned off from the key? Yes, turned off fine for a couple of years.
After what event did you stop turning off the key? Didn't turn off with the key a couple of times a month or two ago but then started stopping ok again, then a week ago, started happening again. No specific event that I can recall although I wasn't driving it around the time it started occurring both times.
Do you have the opportunity to get to the cutoff valve wire and connect a test lamp to it? Not yet, but I will when the rain stops.
If possible, connect the lamp parallel to the cut-off valve or in its place and monitor the operation of the lamp when the ignition is switched on and when it is turned off.Will do.
Poor starting of a cold motor or after a long standstill even in warm weather? I think so, it started playing up when it got colder here, but still having the issue on days when it is in the low to mid 20's (winter is mild here)
The answers to my questions will help us to understand the reasons for your troubles.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:08 pm

I think that the rubber tip of the cutoff valve has collapsed.
It is necessary to unscrew the cut-off valve and inspect the rubber tip.
If there are traces of the destruction of the rubber-valve replace.
But this will not guarantee the normal operation of the injection pump in the future.
Pieces of rubber could get into the fuel pump channels and only a complete disassembly of the injection pump and cleaning of all channels can give an effect.
It will be cheaper to replace the injection pump with another one, serviceable.
Removal of the cut-off valve and inspection of the rubber tip is the first step to correcting.
I wish you success!
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby V184 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:37 pm

dumper wrote:And if it’s not stopping on the key and assumeing you have wired up the stop correct eg not live all the time stop solenoid not working is one of the first signs of pump breaking up inside small bits jam it up we used to get this problem on PSV bus,s sometimes fit a new stop and would be alright but most of the time it would be a new pump anywhere from a few days to months we didn’t get many that leaked diesel

x 2 :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Transittim » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:55 am

So I finally and found my multimeter and voltage is all as it should be to the shutoff valve so can rule that out. I also chased the diesel leak back closer to its source and marked it in the pic below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transittim » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:06 pm

cherniy_chack wrote:I think that the rubber tip of the cutoff valve has collapsed.
It is necessary to unscrew the cut-off valve and inspect the rubber tip.

Is this where you mean?
IMG_20180707_154008.jpg

cherniy_chack wrote:If there are traces of the destruction of the rubber-valve replace.
Any idea of where I may be able to source one online?

cherniy_chack wrote:It will be cheaper to replace the injection pump with another one, serviceable.

Again, do you know where would be the best place to get one if needs be, not a great chance of getting one here in Aus.

Thanks for the help
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Transittim wrote:So I finally and found my multimeter and voltage is all as it should be to the shutoff valve so can rule that out. I also chased the diesel leak back closer to its source and marked it in the pic below.

The bolts snap off in the back, due to the vibration etc
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Chug » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:20 am

Transittim wrote:So I finally and found my multimeter and voltage is all as it should be to the shutoff valve so can rule that out. I also chased the diesel leak back closer to its source and marked it in the pic below.

Its probably the pump ditributor head o ring seal, common place to leak, can be changed in situ with care, if you get the pump up on its camplate to keep spring pressure on the distributor head before losening its bolts, see video......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lm9TM4-b1Y
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Transittim wrote:Is this where you mean?

Yes.
This valve has a steel core with a rubber tip.
Rubber may have fracture. Rubber crumb can cause sudden engine shutdown and / or power loss.
Transittim wrote:Any idea of where I may be able to source one online?

A couple of such cases are described in the Russian-speaking segment of the Internet.
I can not give the links.
Transittim wrote:Again, do you know where would be the best place to get one if needs be, not a great chance of getting one here in Aus.

In my country I can easily buy injection pump, I do not know how it can be done in Australia.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Transittim » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks for the replies, I just need to get the time to have a closer look now.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits