*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Buying a used 1987 Transit campervan. Help please!

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Buying a used 1987 Transit campervan. Help please!

Postby FSeixasPT » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi there,

I'm about to buy a used 1987 Ford Transit campervan by Westfalia, imported from Germany to Portugal in 96. The interiors are perfect, they look almost new. It has a 2.0L Petrol engine, which is my main concern. What can you tell me about this engine? How reliable is it?

Here are some photos so you can assess the engine's condition.
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

Also, here's a video of the engine running.

I have very limited knowledge in car mechanics, so anything you can tell me about this engine or what else to look for in this model will help.

Thanks a lot!
FSeixasPT

Re: Buying a used 1987 Transit campervan. Help please!

Postby gotgcoalman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:52 pm

2.0 pinto. 8v sohc.
sounds a bit tappety (adjustable)
non interferance (if the belt snaps just retime and put a new 1 on)

No oil leaks looking at the pics.

easy old school engine to work on.

:D :D
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 pm

When you do the tappits also give it oil and filter and change the oil spray bar for the camshaft as if the holes in the bar clog up it will fubar the cam and fingers .as for the vv carb the diaframs can perish when we used to change them we also put in the accelerator pump diafram in at the same time we always removed the carb off the van/car and gave it a good clean out at the same time .
Also the auto choke can be troublesome we used to fit a manual conversion kit and we had a hexagon drive shaft for the distributor/oil pump fail on one or two but very rare apart from that the pinto is a good engine.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby tgferreira » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Hey FSeixas,

I am not sure if it is your first motorhome but do not disregard all the aspects related to it. The pricier stuff is the fridge, boiler (for hot water) and that is pretty much it. Also: water leaks are bad and should be fixed ASAP.

I don't know what the consumption is in a petrol motorhome but in a diesel (like mine), it is quite high (even when considering the fact that diesel is cheaper in Portugal). Around 10L/100Km. Of course, with a petrol one you can always convert it to LPG and it will run much much cheaper than as it does now.

Feel free to PM me with any doubts about the motorhome aspect. As long as I can help you, I will.

Boa sorte, companheiro :)

Tiago
tgferreira

Postby Kjeles » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 pm

Double posting.
Last edited by Kjeles on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kjeles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kjeles » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi FSeixasPT,
According to an older mechanic at my local workshop, Ford's low-compression, 2.0 L petrol engine (Pinto) is among the most durable car engines ever produced. I have had four Transits with this engine over the last 35 years, a bus in the 1980s, another bus in the 1990s and currently two Reimo campers (a 1987 and a 1988 model). Apart from being durable, the engines are easy to maintain.

Although the engine is generally durabel, you probably don't know the history of the particular engine you are about to buy. Your photos indicate that the engine is very clean. It has probably low milage(?). If you have a chance, you should, nevertheless, measure the compression of all cylinders and look at the color of the electrodes of the spark plugs. Also, check the color and the smell of the motor oil. If you don't know the history of the timing belt, you should change it soon. It's simple to do. Age of the belt is as important as the distance driven since last replacement.

Owning a thirty-year old camper will, however, require that you become a hobby mechanic as soon as possible. There will, no doubt, be repairs to be made, such as wheel bearing replacement, brake fixes and engine tuning. The technical simplicity of a 1987 Transit makes it a perfect starting point considering that you regard yourself as having 'very limited knowledge in car mecanics'.

Good luck with a fantastic camper. My 1987 model was cruising through Portugal two years ago. Hope to see yours passing through Norway soon.
Kjeles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits