*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Wont fire on its own will fire with WD loads of white smoke

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Wont fire on its own will fire with WD loads of white smoke

Postby jimllshiftit » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Ohhhh, for christ sake what have I done now?

This van was running great until about a month ago and now its playing tricks on me!

Right, start at the beginning.

I fitted a new cam belt which you clever chaps deduced was too tight. Having driven around in it for probably a hundred or so miles I replaced only the tensioner. Then I couldnt get it to start, no fuel at the injectors and nothing in the fuel filter either. I replaced the lift pump and swapped a few fuel pipes around. I run on veg oil and sometimes swapping over the pipes coming from the tank get me out of trouble.

Then, with the aid of WD40 I can get the thing to start. It ran, although not very well with lots of smoke, then it stopped. I redid the cam belt and timing and this time put a new belt on it as well. Now it starts only with the aid WD40, will run fairly smoothly but with loads of white smoke but it will not idle, it will just stop if the revs drop down near idling speed.

I cant help noticing that I dont hear the click of the stop solenoid when I turn the key, either.

Any ideas?
jimllshiftit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Wont fire on its own will fire with WD loads of white sm

Postby loot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:49 pm

If it ran sweet before you fitted the cam belt then the only logical conclusion is that either you fitted it incorrectly or you broke an electrical connection or something whilst working on it.

Double whammy would be if when you first fitted the belt it was incorrect and when you started it something got damaged, which now means either you redid it correctly and thinking it was correct both times how can it be doing what it is now doing??

So I'd start from the very beginning and scrutinise each bit of the job to see if there is any possibility of you finding what went wrong. Then you're looking at double checking the electrical system and fuel system and a compression check.

I can't really help with model specifics ie. Esos valves n stuff as I'm not that familiar but hopefully there's something useful there :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby jimllshiftit » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:07 pm

That is a logical approach.. I needed to walk away from it last night as im scratching my head trying to work stuff out and next doors f'in car alarm is going off with no b*stard anywhere near who car turn it off!

Anyway... Is it possible for the belt to stretch? Im just wondering if, although the timing all lines up and the pulleys are where they began, the injector pump is now either advanced or retarded from its original position.... unfortunately I dont know which one is which or how to correct it but will be doing some research shortly..... unless anyone wants to guide me in the right direction now...
jimllshiftit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:27 pm

The belt won't stretch too much over 100ki don't think. They do say not to fold them over though but that won't have happened Lol.

Can you remove the belt and time up everything including the pump from the beginning? I know on the mk6/7 duratorq if you time it up then rotate it the pump appears not to line up with the gold link in the chain, it is timed correctly though.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby jimllshiftit » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Just done that. Now it will start on the key at least but its still very smoky at idle speed. Seems to calm down at higher revs.
jimllshiftit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jimllshiftit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 am

Well, not sure what all that was about.

The white smoked seemed to clear after going for a little run and then all seemed fine..... I think I put the lack of fuel down to a split leak off pipe....

Alls well that ends well. Cheers/
jimllshiftit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:02 pm

I think that at first you incorrectly set the crankshaft position and replaced the timing belt. The engine did not start with the WD-free key
It happens, it happened to me.
Then you correctly installed the crankshaft and the motor started to run from the key.
Maybe you need to do a little injection earlier.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jimllshiftit » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:50 pm

jimllshiftit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits