*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK3 2L Petrol/LPG - After overhaul not above 70kph (45mph)

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK3 2L Petrol/LPG - After overhaul not above 70kph (45mph)

Postby Kapistijn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 am

Dear Transit fans,

First of all i would like to excuse myself for my English (native Dutch speaking), but I did my best to be as clear as possible :).
And i've searched the forum for a similar problem but didn't find anything, so here it goes:

I, myself, don't have a Transit but the step son of my co-worker does and has had nothing but trouble since he had his engine overhauled by a Dutch company (got it back 2 weeks ago), and since then the problem started. And because the company he used for the overhaul isn't very helpfull, he turned to me, a hobbyist mechanic. But I generally only work on early vw watercooled (Golf, polo, passat mk1 + mk2...) so I don't know much about Ford. Other than they normally are very good vans.

He has a Transit 4cyl 2l petrol/LPG from 1989 camper (engine code BD28611) (carburator 6HEKF/YC6J/9LD).
As I mentioned before the motor got overhauled (actually I believe they replaced it with another allready overhauled). Then they called him up saying the carburator was faulty so they replaced that and so on and so on... After a month he had spend almost 5000 euro (4500GBP) and thought he had a reliable van for his vacation this year.

But then he went and pick it up, on his way home he noticed it was really really slow, it didn't accelerate like it used to, and the maximum speed he reached was 70kph (45mph). Also it didn't switch between petrol or LPG, so it is stuck on petrol.

After getting home he immediately rang the company and mentioned the problems, all they could say was, when it was with them everything was fine. So he rang me up and told me his problems. I contacted the company to ask what the exactly did with the overhaul (to see if they maybe missed something) but they said it wasn't their problem but that the owner probably fiddled with it because it was fine, when I asked if they tested the engine when installed, the phone went silent and the just hung up on me. Tried to call back a few times never got true.

I already checked the sparkplug order, the sparkplugs themself, wiring from coil to sparkplugs, vacuum, fuses, tiresize etc.
The funny thing is that, when idle, it runs actually like it has to. And also if you accelerate, except for it being as slow as a snail, it doesn't stump or anyting, no engine sputter, it is fluent until it reaches 70 (45mph) and than just stops accelerating.

So now here is the question. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? If so, what was it so I can check it later this week. I know it is a bit of a long shot, and difficult because it could be many, but if I have an idea what it could be maybe I could help him a bit.

My idea is that there is something wrong with the switching between Petrol and LPG, but is it even possible that it starts?

I already mentioned him he should just bring it to a Ford dealer to have it fixed, but the overhaul kind of made him spend all of his savings (the bloke is only 20yo). Really hoping someone can set us in the right direction of solving the problem

Greetings
Stijn

ps: I know that internet mechanic is an impossible job, but this is kind of a last resort for us.
But thanks for reading true my badly written topic :D
Kapistijn

Re: MK3 2L Petrol/LPG - After overhaul not above 70kph (45mp

Postby twin wheel camper » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:09 pm

Have you checked to make sure the throttle cable is correctly adjusted? Might just be slack and thus not giving you full throttle.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits