*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Light on, 1998 TD Auto

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Engine Light on, 1998 TD Auto

Postby denz » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:44 am

Hi,
1998 MK5 Transit 2.5TD Auto
I recently Installed Reconditioned Lucas Epic pump,Timing Belt and Water Pump.
All went well, Started motor and idled for a while to check fluid levels and topped up coolant levels as needed.
My problem is when i start motor all is OK, But when it warms up the Engine light comes on and stays on .
I did recheck the timing 13mm drill into flywheel and 6mm into pump, slipped strait in.
It seems to drive the same as before Pump changeover,
Does not go into limp mode. Tried disconnecting Battery for a couple of hours.
Any help or ideas much appreciated.
Cheers
Denis
denz

Re: Engine Light on

Postby knobby1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:55 am

Is it possible to read the codes on the Mk5's....if so, have you had the codes read..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Engine Light on

Postby Altransit » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:57 am

You can read the codes on these, but only with a Lucas Laser 2000 or Ford FDS 2000, anything else you try may well give spurious codes.

My guess is that the timing is slightly out, as the pump can only cope with something like 4 degrees of error before going into limp mode, but I'm no expert!

I'll put this in the Mk5 section and edit the title so that one of the EPIC pump gurus may see it better :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Re: Engine Light on, 1998 TD Auto

Postby MinorMatt » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:45 pm

So is the lamp on or not?
You really need to get it plugged in....
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Engine Light on, 1998 TD Auto

Postby denz » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your replies.
MinorMatt-- The light only comes on after Thermostat opens, Runs fine No limp mode?

Altransit-- I think you are right, From another thread i found

The EPIC injection control system allows an error in setting the initial injection angle + -4 angular degrees and itself adjusts the injection timing. If the deviation is large, the "Check" lamp should light up. The "Check" lamp should light up when the ignition is switched on and turn off 1-2 seconds after self-test control systems.
Judging by the description of the behavior of the motor during start-up and after start-up, the initial angle of the injection advance is incorrectly set.
A late injection was installed.
It is necessary to remove the protection of the timing belt and in several steps by turning the injection pump shaft clockwise while the injection pump pulley bolts is loosened.
After each operation, make a test trip.

I also spoke to a Diesel Mechanic and he said he has seen this before. As for the light coming on only when warm the timing may be out enough for the light to come on but not enough to go into limp mode? He suggested the same as above but to scribe some marks so i know where i started from and to try anticlockwise first.
knobby1-- I am in Australia, Ford want the van for 2 hours and maybe able to hookup to a laptop??
Thanks for your help.
Will post results, May help someone else.
Cheers
denz

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits