*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK3 vs MK4 5-speeds

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK3 vs MK4 5-speeds

Postby leebarnard » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:39 am

I need to do an 01M-ectomy on my 2001. I hear some people install MK3 5-speeds, because they have better 5th gear ratios. I'm considering installing an MK3 trans instead of an MK4 trans in place of my 01M.

I know the axle flanges are different, but what else do i need to know? is everything else identical? flywheel & clutch, which do i use? MK3 or MK4? clutch fluid line? MK3 or MK4? Trans mounts? MK3 or MK4? Any problems with the MK4 shifter bolting up to the MK3 trans? any other potential problems that i should know about?
leebarnard

Re: MK3 vs MK4 5-speeds

Postby twin wheel camper » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:39 pm

First thing you need to determine is what your van is?
You say 2001 which will most likely be a mk6 not a mk3 or mk4? It could be a late mk5??
And regardless if you want to reduce your engine rpms you need to look at your diff not your gearbox, unless your talking about a fwd mk6??
I don’t know much about them but there was a 5 speed and a 6 speed gearbox box but most likely like most other vehicles 6th will be the same as 5th so know benefit for you!!
Like I said I don’t have any experience with later model transits so this may be incorrect :lol:
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dumper » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:04 am

They didn’t fit a hydraulic clutch to transits until the mark 6
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:10 pm

In the MK3-MK5 the fifth gear has a reduction of 1:0.82, and in the rear-wheel drive MK6 the fifth gear has a reduction of 1:0.79.
The difference is close to zero.
If you want to reduce engine speed, install the rear axle with a lower gear ratio.
I don’t know much about this, but the range of gear ratios for gearboxes is very wide.
From 1:3.31 to approximately 1:5.5 every 0.10...0.15.
You need to look for a suitable rear axle at the dismantling sites of old cars.
But for success you need to have a motor of sufficient power.
A 90 horsepower motor will not pull a car with a 1:3.31 or 1:3.57 gearbox.
In the summer, I installed a rear axle from a 2007 car on my MK3 with a gear ratio of 1:3.31 instead of 1:4.11.
And it so happened that at the same time the turbocharger mounting studs broke and it stopped working.
After the repair, the car drove, and after adjusting the high pressure fuel pump, the car drove very well!
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby BrovtalGemini » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:06 pm

While swapping a MK3 5-speed transmission into your 2001 VW with an 01M might provide better 5th gear ratios, it's not a simple drop-in replacement and requires careful planning and execution. Here's what you need to know:

Compatibility:

Engine compatibility: Ensure the MK3 gearbox you choose matches your engine type (1.8T, 2.0L, etc.). Not all MK3 5-speeds are universally compatible.
Axle flanges: You're correct about the different axle flanges. Depending on the MK3 gearbox, you might need new axles or swap the flanges onto your existing axles.
Additional challenges:

Flywheel & Clutch: While the clutch disc might be the same for both MK3 and MK4, the flywheel could differ. Research the specific compatibility for your engine and chosen MK3 gearbox.
Clutch fluid line: The line compatibility likely depends on the chosen MK3 gearbox and clutch master cylinder setup. You might need modifications or a new line.
Trans mounts: MK3 and MK4 mounts likely differ. Be prepared to source the correct MK3 mounts for your application.
Shifter linkage: While the MK4 shifter might physically bolt onto the MK3 gearbox, the linkage mechanism could differ. Ensure compatibility or plan modifications.
BrovtalGemini

Postby twin wheel camper » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:41 pm

BrovtalGemini wrote:While swapping a MK3 5-speed transmission into your 2001 VW with an 01M might provide better 5th gear ratios, it's not a simple drop-in replacement and requires careful planning and execution. Here's what you need to know:

Compatibility:

Engine compatibility: Ensure the MK3 gearbox you choose matches your engine type (1.8T, 2.0L, etc.). Not all MK3 5-speeds are universally compatible.
Axle flanges: You're correct about the different axle flanges. Depending on the MK3 gearbox, you might need new axles or swap the flanges onto your existing axles.
Additional challenges:

Flywheel & Clutch: While the clutch disc might be the same for both MK3 and MK4, the flywheel could differ. Research the specific compatibility for your engine and chosen MK3 gearbox.
Clutch fluid line: The line compatibility likely depends on the chosen MK3 gearbox and clutch master cylinder setup. You might need modifications or a new line.
Trans mounts: MK3 and MK4 mounts likely differ. Be prepared to source the correct MK3 mounts for your application.
Shifter linkage: While the MK4 shifter might physically bolt onto the MK3 gearbox, the linkage mechanism could differ. Ensure compatibility or plan modifications.

What has a “vw” got to do with this :shock:
You must be on the wrong forum because this is a question about a Ford transit van not a vw unless you know something that we don’t?
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:56 pm

twin wheel camper wrote:
You must be on the wrong forum because this is a question about a Ford transit van not a vw unless you know something that we don’t?

An 01M is a VW gearbox.... and the OP has never come back again. I suspect we may be dealing with a cross forum copy and paste spammer??
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:05 pm

MinorMatt wrote:
twin wheel camper wrote:

An 01M is a VW gearbox.... and the OP has never come back again. I suspect we may be dealing with a cross forum copy and paste spammer??

Yea after reading the first post I think you are on the right lines alright.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Altransit » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:05 am

I've disabled the accounts of both the OP and the rather random responder.

I suspect that the first is/was a spammer with a 'borrowed' post and an 'illegal' signature (which I've deleted), and the second appears to be an AI bot, of which we have had a few lately with their 'apparently knowledgeable' but rather unspecific answers.

I've left the thread in place so that we can see what to look out for, because these 'people' are getting cleverer at getting around the approval process :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits