*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Leaking diesel pump. Repair or replace?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Leaking diesel pump. Repair or replace?

Postby gercovandijk » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:30 am

Good morning everyone from the Netherlands.
Last week my camper had to go to the garage for the annual inspection. During the inspection it turned out that the EPIC diesel pump is leaking and therefore does not pass the inspection. :cry: I first read the Dutch forums and almost everywhere there was the advice to replace the whole pump with a manual diesel pump from Bosch.
But via Google I also came across sets with new gaskets/rings to repair the pump and this morning I read many topics on this forum from which I get the feeling that it is definitely worth it to see if I can repair the current pump. In the Netherlands, the two companies that specialized in overhauling EPIC diesel pumps have stopped and now I am wondering whether this is a job that I could do myself and what your advice is. A few questions I already had:
1. What is the best way to find the leak?
2. Can I leave the pump in place or is it better to disassemble it?
3. If I disassemble it, do I need specialized tools to put it back together?

This is a camper based on a 1995 Ford Transit with a 2.5TDI engine.
The pump is a Lucas Epic dsa 947 8720A003A (Ford number: 924F9A543CC).
I also saw a few manuals from EPIC on the forum, but I did not recognize my pump in them. Is this available for the DSA 947?
gercovandijk

Re: Leaking diesel pump. Repair or replace?

Postby petersean12 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:00 am

Hi,
This is late if you're working on it, and you may have your answers already, but been looking at this site and AndyG plus Jim and others have been great help to me over the years. Great pump when going well, and some things are simple. Replacing the external square seal is one, you don't disassemble the pump (tip; when removing the pump look at it straight away carefully to identify where on the pump the leak occurs. The square seal is in the forum with photos)
Tip 2; two shafts in the pump need to be aligned, the pin holding the pulley in place on the outside, and the four roller shaft inside the pump with fiddly roller bits (tip; rubber band these to hold in place) has a mark.
I jagged it in previous seal replacements but Adrian shows it... 2.11min mark shows the square seal area, it doesn't have the black cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4c99eO ... L&index=26

I have two pumps not working now, that were with leaks, one I resealed and wouldn't go, the spare did, but leaked from front shaft later and created the current situation. Both pumps needed the shafts realigned and I thought that's it, and I have a spare, but no go after buying kits here https://injectionpumps.co.uk/product/lu ... unger-kit/

No electronic parts available anymore, and could get a resealed pump with that caveat for $2750AUD, all the parts had ohms resistance but I've been here a few times. I broke a fan shaft going to Adelaide, fixed it but got an engine management light and drove to Alice Springs on limp mode. Resealed the pump in Alice, 1.5hrs out and hot on the road, eng mgt light again, limp mode to Darwin, old and have time but no money, still scary trip with 130kph speed limit and any rise in the road and you slow from 80kph.

The motors are bullet proof, gearbox needs another gear, great to drive. I'm old and have time and no money, rust holes in the corners of the windscreen and front passenger footstep plus the roof. So while waiting for parts, I used a colorbond gutter sheet steel and riveted closed all holes with silicon. I had been thinking about these issues for a while, body filling would crack with the rust, so the motor and running gear are good, the holes are fixed, I have lived in it for 8yrs since a divorce, 65yo, I think the van will outlast me.

I would love a Transit Trail and may get one, AWD would be handy traveling, 8 or 10sp auto gearbox, ton of power. But I'm saving the planet using the VG till no more, and there's the money and I'm quite comfortable in it. I shear sheep, so drive to the farm Sunday arvo and camp till Friday afternoon, so it's perfect for me and a workhorse of a vehicle for it's age.

So going manual, the Bosch isn't a new pump, but resealed conversion for a VG Transit. https://cdsa.net.au/product/ford-transi ... onversion/
petersean12
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby petersean12 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:22 am

Additionally, the wiring harness has been the main reason for the limp mode. I ended up not putting the black square cover over the wires because I was always in there because the pump wires housing and harness wire housing had worn and not tight. In Australia pliers, wire and tape, fix everything, and tape did (though the engine gets pretty hot) but found a long cable tie worked really well to hold them tight.
Cable ties, can also replace the brown plastic comb that holds the various pins, by getting the right size width, a few together and gently push them through. Turn the pump harness over to view the pins and use a small pair of nose pliers the gently pull any pins that don't sit level with the rest.

Sorry about talking too much, going off topic, I'll try to post a few photos, but don't hold your breath.
petersean12
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Bruce e » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:14 am

Sorry to but in but were do you get parts inAusse ,have fun over here in NZ getting parts at a reasonable price

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
Bruce e
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby petersean12 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:48 am

4198[1].jpg

Hi Bruce, the seals are easiest from the UK, I just search, starter motors or heavy stuff, I look for 'au' in the address. A lot of Transits in the UK still, and Epic pumps in Peugot. I have a new seal kit for Epic pumps, not the specific pump seal kit, because it has more seals in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
petersean12
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Bruce e » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:36 pm

Thanks for that I am also an older person in the country wanting to keep my pre 2000 Transits going

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
Bruce e
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits