*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bleeding fuel lines/Trouble Shooting Leaks [FIXED]

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Bleeding fuel lines/Trouble Shooting Leaks [FIXED]

Postby ph8 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:05 pm

MK4 1994 2.5 TD 100ps Lucas EPIC Pump

OK I have fitted new fuel lines between the fuel filter and the injection pump, fitted new joints on the lines on the other side of the filter and fitted new filter housing (yeah tightened a bolt too much be verrrry carefull these don't work on tightning!).
Any way, i started the engine (after MY bleeding proceedure which is geuss and try).
The engine doesn't sound smooth like running vrrmm vrrm puff puff vrrrmmm vrrm pufff puff.. Is this air??

I'm thinking i still have air in the lines somewhere.. What is the correct bleeding procedure? Do i crack open all FOUR injectors turn the engine over, close them and then try a start??? Or can i just crack number one open turn engine over, close it then try to start.
I think i have worn out my starter in the proccess.. :((

Before i changed the leads it was purrrrring just fine!! Also, the filter housing came with a new filter. But since the one i already had on was new i put the old one back on deciding to save the OEM one for a later filter change. Could the filters be different?
Diesel is leaking somewher but i don't know if its at the return lead on the filter housing or if its coming from the filter itself :(

I need to get it running to conclude my other post, and be gone with frustratingly see my truck out their everymorning and not being able to use it..
Last edited by ph8 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 2.5Di TD 190L MK4 Dreaded Broken EPIC
ph8
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Bleeding fuel lines/Trouble Shooting Leaks

Postby gemini » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:16 pm

one injector will do, turn the engine over, it will start on three then just tighten the nut up
Transit Mk5 Guilt Edged Glamorous & Sleek By Design
gemini
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MrMPuk » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:17 pm

You need to sort the diesel leak first, Where abouts is it coming from?
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ph8 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:44 pm

I have posted picture of top view of filter housing and side view. The red parts are where diesel comes out on fingers after wiping it clean. This is the return lead (that goes back to tank, this is on the tank side not the pump side), so it shouldn't affect air getting in the system.. I think..

Filter is tight on I can't pull it off by hand so must be well clamped... I didn't change the rubber gasket/joint on this lead. I will do it tomorrow but like i say, this shouldn't affect air getting in lines.. IMO. What do you think?
ph8
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:52 pm

Yep you need to sort that, any leak will let air in.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby V184 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:54 pm

You have to fill the filter with diesel, it sounds as if the filters not clipped in correctly to the housing, they can be a struggle, try taking the housing off and fitting the filter (filled with diesel) and it should be ok, you may have to bleed the injectors ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ph8 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:03 pm

Yes, filled the filter with diesel (as best i could considering you lose some when you put it on..
I'll take it off and take that lead off and put both back on tomorrow.

The only time it ran today everytime i cracked open number one injector it wanted to stall and when i did finally open it all the way, it did stall, so it doesn't seem to be running on three.. Maybe i am opening it too much..

I'll have a go at it tomorrow :)
Thank you for the advice!
ph8
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:06 pm

ph8 wrote:Yes, filled the filter with diesel (as best i could considering you lose some when you put it on..
I'll take it off and take that lead off and put both back on tomorrow.

The only time it ran today everytime i cracked open number one injector it wanted to stall and when i did finally open it all the way, it did stall, so it doesn't seem to be running on three.. Maybe i am opening it too much..

I'll have a go at it tomorrow :)
Thank you for the advice!

If when you crack number one injector it wants to stall it is more likely to mean it is running on 3 and that is one of the 3. You need to go through and crack all 4 to bleed correctly.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby JIM T » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Make sure the bleed of pipe on no:4 injector is push well on, I had a leak from the same pipe after checking for leaks, I must have disturb the pipe :) .
Yes it is a Transit MK 2 under there some were.Click here for pic!
[http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/JIMRT/#!cpZZ7QQtppZZ16]
JIM T
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ph8 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:52 am

Well that's the only injector I didn't crack open this time. A month ago after some work on the Injection Pump I geuss I did crack that one open after not getting the truck to run smoothly. I am pointing downhill so maybe that's the one I should open. Its not easy getting at though.

Just a small point, do you use a wrench on the injector and one on the nut when loosening? I always do and that's why i wasn't to happy about n°4, its a b**** to get at.

Thanks for the tip.

Tim
ph8
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ph8 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:53 pm

K, replaced the joint on the hose that was leaking, reseated the gas filter, filled it to the brim as much as possible, opened all injectors, turned it over till i stopped seeing bubble coming out and just diesel.
Closed injectors 4 3 and 2, left 1 open.
Cranked it and it started (roughly of course) then waited till injector number one was litteraly spitting out gas. Turned it off closed injector number one and started perfectly.

No leaks, engine purrs just like before. Going to take it on the first test drive since i think i solved my other problem (Tranny cuts out and starts only after tow thread).

Thanks guys! Always great help :)
ph8
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits