*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil Leak (s)

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Oil Leak (s)

Postby eresseraca » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:18 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the source of one of my current leaks as well, the main one that is. I had the short wide flexible hose (at the top of the engine) connecting the turbo pipe to the manifold leak a bit, replaced that recently with an fluorosilicone hose which should resist the oil mist transported up from the turbo and for now that seems nice and tight again, another possible leak is at the other flexible narrower hose that connects that same pipe at the turbo end, that one is probably also worn from sitting there 20 years, to the point that it lets oil through the hose walls and make a mess on the turbo, but it's a real slow leak. Seems like a hassle to get to the hose clamps holding that one in place, but that's a separate problem entirely.

BUT this one, which make oil to drip out from that area around the first bolts of the intake manifold and gather up at a "cavity" on the engine right below the EPIC pump seems to be the main culprit which MOT wasn't too happy with either (have to fix it before next inspection in the autumn).

AndyG, do I understand you correctly that it's possible to fit a new gasket in there without really tearing anything apart? Just remove all 8-9 (?) bolts holding the manifold in place pull the gasket and slide a new one in place? Seems like a pretty fiddly business but I certainly don't want to remove, disconnect or upset the EPIC pump in any way :mrgreen:

What kind of a tool, spanner or trick do you suggest to get that first bolt loosened, or maybe at first tightened if possible to see if that helps. It really looks like it's only that first "connection" on the manifold that leaks oil. The rest are nice and dry!

IntakeManifoldLeak01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eresseraca

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits