*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mondeo Dash ...again.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mondeo Dash ...again.

Postby MarkM » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:10 pm

Searching for this doesn't eactly help so bear with me.
I have aquired a set of Mondeo clocks...early version and yes the Speedo is manual (well the spigot is there) but I will be fitting this when I swap the dash over completely so I am not about to start removing things more times than I have to.
The Problem?? on the back of the cluster it has two multi connectors
These appear to be purely the bulbs/rev counter/fuel temp etc connectors...but does two connectors mean an electric cluster or do the the New Gen Transits have two connectors.
I did find that a fitted unit from another members post didn't work as there does appear to be some that need an extra cable taking from the Alternator, so it isn't as cut and dried as it first appeared (ref the fitting) plus my Alternator doesn't look to have the 3 wires that is the sign for the "fit it and it works" but then I have a lot of multiplugs etc in that area and it might well be the correct alternator but I need a better pic of the types that I have to run an extra wire from. Or alternatively the multiplug part that isn't used on the Mondoe but is needed on the Transit connection...which pin please?
Next problem
Some of the Mondeo lights are not used (model of mondeo obviously) but this cluster has a Glow plug light...my Transit doesn't have one of these currently anyway plus there is no "Low Fuel" light but will the lamp in the same place as my Low Fuel light work as this due to the cabling connection?
Transit is a 98 2.5 70ps 120swb
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MrMPuk » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:19 pm

From what the original post in the tech how to says I would say you need the 3 terminal alternator for it to work, and as you don't have I can't be sure it will work.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MarkM » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:27 pm

MrMPuk wrote:From what the original post in the tech how to says I would say you need the 3 terminal alternator for it to work, and as you don't have I can't be sure it will work.

Well I might have...thats the problem the wiring hasn't been disturbed too much as the alternator was replaced just before I bought the van and is still under warranty but there seems to be so many cables on this Transitt compared to my last the only cable/sockets I have found that don't have a home so far is one alongside the block which I think is the part of the loom for the water in the filter??? The filter doesn't have the corresponding connector and I have read on here that some Transits this isn't used on so this seems likely and the other connector is on the front passenger side near the headlamp which has a bridge piece in (factory not bodge) which again I assume is for fogs/driving lamps...I hope it is that as I have some lamps on their way to me.
I will take a picture tomorrow when it is light and then post it up so the connections can be identified...multiplugs as well.
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MrMPuk » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:28 pm

I wouldn't worry about all the other wires what you need is an alternator with 3 places to connect wires.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MarkM » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:44 pm

I have just taken some pictures but without the light to see my aim was more than a little off but I will redo them tommorrow and post them up....I don't have 3 connections per se on the alternator but I do have a a covered connection area by the battery that all the alternator wires dissapear into before going where they have to go so perhaps this is where the 3 connections are?

The alternator fitted is the one with the pump on the back so that is why it doesn't look like the ones I have seen pictured when talk about the Mondeo cluster fitting has been discussed.
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 100ps_drw_hicube » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:45 pm

ok seeing this post i will get a few piccys tomoz of my speedo and alt

is there any other info peeps would like? as its a pain to keep pulling the dash out :x let me know before tommorow and i will do my best :)
You only need two tools in life: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.
100ps_drw_hicube
Transit Abuser!!

Postby MarkM » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:57 pm

100ps_drw_hicube wrote:as its a pain to keep pulling the dash out :x

Now you understand why my questions as I want to do this in one hit and then forget about it. I will be replacing the entire dash at the same time so any wires that will need routing through the bulkhead will be easy to do without that great lump of plastic in the way ;) I am sure the whole job is going to take a couple of hours longer than I think it will at the moment but if I have ALL the info (and parts ;)) it should be pretty easy to plan this through.
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MrMPuk » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:45 pm

I'm not talking about 3 wires, i'm talking about 3 places on the aternator to connect wires, you could put 3 wires onto one connection but you need 3 seperate connections!
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MrMPuk » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:47 pm

The reason for this is the Rev counter works from an unrectified signal from the alternator which you will only get if you have the 3 terminal alternator.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby 100ps_drw_hicube » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:53 pm

MrMPuk wrote:I'm not talking about 3 wires, i'm talking about 3 places on the aternator to connect wires, you could put 3 wires onto one connection but you need 3 seperate connections!

a piccy tomoz should clarify all this :D
You only need two tools in life: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.
100ps_drw_hicube
Transit Abuser!!

Postby Buzz-Billsberry » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:37 am

100ps_drw_hicube wrote:
MrMPuk wrote:I'm not talking about 3 wires, i'm talking about 3 places on the aternator to connect wires, you could put 3 wires onto one connection but you need 3 seperate connections!

a piccy tomoz should clarify all this :D

Agreed I have 3 wire and 3 connections but still no working rev counter apparently u need to do another connection from alt' to the pin connector in the back of dash as mentioned B4

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4317

Cheers

buzz
I love food, its all I eat!
Buzz-Billsberry
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MrMPuk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:01 pm

On some you do need to run an extra wire but you still need to have the terminal to connect it to.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby 100ps_drw_hicube » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:56 pm

heres some piccys if you want more tell me before tonight as i havent put it back together yet :)

note !! no grey wire in the multiplug's ???
100ps_drw_hicube
Transit Abuser!!

Postby AndyG » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:15 pm

Look at your large connector socket, look carefully next to the pins they are numbered. You need no. 8. Mine has a white and black coloured cable going to it. Hope this helps. Andy.
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby MarkM » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:28 pm

Ok looks like I may be done for then

This is the cover by the side of the battery
This is what is under it
This is MY alternator
Another view showing the only connections I can see, which in turn go to the first picture

Oh and I don't have this connection/plug in part on the cluster, other than that it is the same.

Last edited by MarkM on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits