*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Egr valve

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Egr valve

Postby kinty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:49 am

cool im the minority,doesnt phase me if im right...lol. in this thread theres only a couple of guys that make sense,those who have engine knowledge couldnt really disagree with me. interestingly enough the engine mod thread ,a guys followed the so called mods and guess what....poor starting????theres even a guy stating his van different with flap removed or tied fully open... :?

the problem we have here is that theres a little knowledge in the wrong hands which is bad.you know who you are... to all those reading that havnt done these miracle mods...by all means try them if you like,best to see the facts against aswell isnt it.
kinty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby fastmower » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:36 pm

I would say the problem we have here is that you are utterly convinced that you are right and that EVERYONE else is wrong!! No-one has disagreed with you on the fact that EGR disabling is unlikely to increase power on it's own. As I said a couple of times, most people here have done it in conjunction with the pump tweak - which DOES increase power to some extent.

I also pointed out that EGR disabling isn't unique to Transits - you'll find threads advising it on all sorts of vehicle forums - and you'll also find that the majority of those who have done it, for whatever reason - decreasing exhaust smoke, keeping their inlet clean, whatever - have reported back as being pleased with the results.

Some people will argue - and actually believe that the world is flat until the cows come home - it doesn't necessarily mean they're correct does it?!

This isn't intended as a dig at you kinty - but people are doing this mod and seeing the results for themselves, and those results will be there whether or not you say so!

Andy
From four vans to two :-(

1997 Mk5 County Transit 4x4
2003 Mk6 ex RAC 330 SWB
fastmower
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby madmark_50484 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:30 pm

Kinty

I actually disagree with you the EGR mod would happily help your intake not get coked up I think your "it helps start cold engines" is flawed as the early DI never had egr valve and start fine.

An engine is designed to burn diesel so you need oxygen to do that so what benefit would taking your exhaust gas to that :?:

As for "EGRs work fine" why don't you ask the mk6 & mk7 crew if thats the case :?: :?:
Past
MK5 98 R reg Transit 190 LWB Semi hi Top
Mk5 98 S reg Transit 190 LWB High Cube
Present
Mk5 96 N Reg Transit Luton

Forum for bus enthusiasts and preservationists
www.busesuk.co.uk
madmark_50484
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby kinty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:21 pm

madmark_50484 wrote:Kinty

I actually disagree with you the EGR mod would happily help your intake not get coked up I think your "it helps start cold engines" is flawed as the early DI never had egr valve and start fine.

An engine is designed to burn diesel so you need oxygen to do that so what benefit would taking your exhaust gas to that :?:

As for "EGRs work fine" why don't you ask the mk6 & mk7 crew if thats the case :?: :?:

egr on this van as ford intended does help cold start/warm up.ON THIS VAN.egrs on modern vehicles are totally different,the early d.i and yorks didnt have it .....pollution wasnt such an issue then.it was intended to reduce emissions ONLY.now as a bi product it does the above.

NO body said it does or doesnt make a van start. why would i need to ask mk6/7 owners ?????i am talking about this d.i mk5 van specifficaly,allthough fundamentally in theory the same principles apply. unlike other vehicles this d.i egr system is primitive in that its vacuum operated and not metered as such...modern vehicles are...egr s sticking on petrol engines is again different as a sticky one wil cause weak mixture and maybe a non start situation,mil light illuminated.

as for coking up your inlets...hmn ok...your still producing that gunk in your exhaust,whether it goes through egr or not ,i would suggest you have problems in that situation .ive removed egr blanking plates on trannys and blank is never excessively carboned.

as for this remark"An engine is designed to burn diesel so you need oxygen to do that so what benefit would taking your exhaust gas to that :?:read this whole thread again mate.
kinty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmark_50484 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Dont see the point in reading the thread again its not healthy for it to breath its exhaust no argument otherwise you might as connect your exhaust pipe to your intake

you say the plates on a blanked one are coked but is that not because the vacuum isn't there to put it on it :?: :?:

egr on this van as ford intended does help cold start/warm up.ON THIS VAN.egrs on modern vehicles are totally different,the early d.i and yorks didnt have it .....pollution wasnt such an issue then.it was intended to reduce emissions ONLY.now as a bi product it does the above.

so it helps with cold start but wasn't designed to do so so by doing this mod doesn't matter to cold starting that would contradict what you said earliar.

What I would say is I thought the air intake (forget the EGR valve) was supposed to open and close as the engine revved derevved
Past
Present

www.busesuk.co.uk
madmark_50484
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby kinty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:11 pm

"What I would say is I thought the air intake (forget the EGR valve) was supposed to open and close as the engine revved derevved"

not on a transit d.i,its rpm is controlled by the f.i.p...if you thought that why remove the only mechanism on the inlet capable of doing that...doesnt make
sense?does your van rev up if you operate the butterfly on its own,not the f.i.p ?no it doesnt

"Dont see the point in reading the thread again its not healthy for it to breath its exhaust no argument otherwise you might as connect your exhaust pipe to your intake "

the exhaust is connected to inlet on this engine,the egr,(im sick of seeing this word lol)
Last edited by kinty on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmark_50484 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:23 pm

kinty wrote:"What I would say is I thought the air intake (forget the EGR valve) was supposed to open and close as the engine revved derevved"

not on a transit d.i,its rpm is controlled by the f.i.p...if you thought that why remove the only mechanism on the inlet capable of doing that...doesnt make
sense?

Absouletly agreed hence why I asked :wink:
Past
Present

www.busesuk.co.uk
madmark_50484
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic