*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Oil

Postby darkbluevanman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:12 pm

more leaks with fully synth....
darkbluevanman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby birdy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:16 am

A common problem with older design engines that have many miles of wear ,A good reason to use 15/40 semi in a Di .Been advised to use 20/50 mineral oil in my classic cars for the same reason.
birdy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby simplyshaker » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:51 pm

I've got 10W/40 in mine from 89, because it was cheaper. But with the temperatures going low here (-18 recently), I would like to change it to some 5W/30 to help her starting in the cold.
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby winterheating » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:52 pm

got some oil from ford today they sell 5w-30 5w-40 and 10w-40.

what reasons do people like to use the sae40 oil :?: or is just cheapskates :?:

allthough 5w is same viscosity at lower temps as sae 30, than the 1ow-40, the 2 are still different viscosity, 10w-40 is 3 times thicker than sae30 oil.
so basically changing from 10w-40 to a 5w-30 will not help cos of the lower winter rating but the oil is just thinner alltogether, so basically changing to 5w-40 would give the same viscosity youv been using but stays the same viscosity at lower temps than the 10w-40.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MrMPuk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:56 pm

winterheating wrote:got some oil from ford today they sell 5w-30 5w-40 and 10w-40.

Mineral oil, semi-synthetic or fully synthetic?
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby winterheating » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:57 pm

MrMPuk wrote:
winterheating wrote:got some oil from ford today they sell 5w-30 5w-40 and 10w-40.

Mineral oil, semi-synthetic or fully synthetic?

yes that would help :oops:

i'll check tommorrow when i go back. but i doubt they sell mineral oil :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby winterheating » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:58 pm

birdy wrote:A common problem with older design engines that have many miles of wear ,A good reason to use 15/40 semi in a Di .Been advised to use 20/50 mineral oil in my classic cars for the same reason.

whats the reason for using mineral oil. :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby winterheating » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:56 pm

wish my camera was working, just stripped a scrap engine today for a couple of pistons.
one of pistons had smashed itself into block.
drained oil plenty of water in it, but the oil itself was thick, one of big end shells was almost dry, and clumps of oil dropped out of the oilways on crank. :roll:
no doubt the oil caused the engine to go, looks like a thick mineral oil has been used and not changed for a while causing it to sludge up. :roll:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby darkbluevanman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:34 pm

winterheating wrote:
birdy wrote:A common problem with older design engines that have many miles of wear ,A good reason to use 15/40 semi in a Di .Been advised to use 20/50 mineral oil in my classic cars for the same reason.

whats the reason for using mineral oil. :?:

Bit slacker on the tolerences, if you have a motor with worn stem seals fully synth pisses down 'em!

5w30 and 5w40 would be synth of some kind, I'd deffo (and do) use a 10w40 semi synth diesel oil in mine.
darkbluevanman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby darkbluevanman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:40 pm

simplyshaker wrote:I've got 10W/40 in mine from 89, because it was cheaper. But with the temperatures going low here (-18 recently), I would like to change it to some 5W/30 to help her starting in the cold.

I'd think at them temps the low crank would be because the batt was near freezing and the inlet temp was v/cold, the crank is only splashing in a bit of oil, I doubt the 5w30 is the answer to everyones prayers!... it's like diesels with glow plugs.. they are there to heat the fuel mixture at start up, when one fails it starts to moan at starting, ie the temp of the mixture is lower...
darkbluevanman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby simplyshaker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:35 am

darkbluevanman wrote:
simplyshaker wrote:I've got 10W/40 in mine from 89, because it was cheaper. But with the temperatures going low here (-18 recently), I would like to change it to some 5W/30 to help her starting in the cold.

I'd think at them temps the low crank would be because the batt was near freezing and the inlet temp was v/cold, the crank is only splashing in a bit of oil, I doubt the 5w30 is the answer to everyones prayers!... it's like diesels with glow plugs.. they are there to heat the fuel mixture at start up, when one fails it starts to moan at starting, ie the temp of the mixture is lower...

She's not actually a bad starter for her age, I take the battery out regularly to give it a good charge though because I use the van over short distances only most of the time. I haven't changed the oil for the 5W/30 yet (doubt I'll get round to it this winter), but I would like to see if there was a difference between the two oils at the same temperature.

Another reason why I considered putting the 5W/30 in was BECAUSE I do lots of small trips. So the thinner viscosity oil would, I imagine, circulate better, quicker.

I find that keeping the battery in good condition, and checking the connections to the starter (keeping good contacts) is the best way to get her started in the morning !
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby winterheating » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:45 am

has anyone got other reasons for using a trhicker oil than recommended then other than cost :?: :?:

and anyone experimented with the oils to see if any difference in economy :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby winterheating » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:00 am

darkbluevanman wrote:

the 5w oil is thinner at -temps than the 10w oil, it isnt the same viscosity, but 5w will maintain that viscosity at temps below -20 also. but as we dont really see past -20 doesnt matter, but the viscosity of the 2 oils at cold does.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby winterheating » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:08 am

simplyshaker wrote:
darkbluevanman wrote:

She's not actually a bad starter for her age, I take the battery out regularly to give it a good charge though because I use the van over short distances only most of the time. I haven't changed the oil for the 5W/30 yet (doubt I'll get round to it this winter), but I would like to see if there was a difference between the two oils at the same temperature.
the 5w oil is thinner at -temps than the 10w oil, it isnt the same viscosity, but 5w will maintain that viscosity at temps below -20 also. but as we dont really see past -20 doesnt matter, but the viscosity of the 2 oils at cold does.
Another reason why I considered putting the 5W/30 in was BECAUSE I do lots of small trips. So the thinner viscosity oil would, I imagine, circulate better, quicker.
i cant get my head round why a thinner oil wont be better full stop :?: , cos if thicker was used engine ,it may not be protected as much from starting so therfore not as protective as a thinner oil :? :?
I find that keeping the battery in good condition, and checking the connections to the starter (keeping good contacts) is the best way to get her started in the morning !
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby winterheating » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 am

madbri wrote:so by that chart 15/40 is good? just been given 2x5 gallons of it. hope i found a use 4 it :wink:

all the chart is showing is different grade oil tempertures.

but they dont recommend a 15w-40 and is it mineral oil you got :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits