*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK 6/7) turning off the service light?

Before you ask a question, check to see if it's been asked before. We show all the common Transit faults here and it's a good idea to read through these in case they happen to you in the future!!

MK 6/7) turning off the service light?

Postby Example Post » Mon May 25, 2009 7:07 pm

how do you turn off the service light on a mk6 or mk7 transit :?:
Example Post

Re: turning off the service light?

Postby ake » Mon May 25, 2009 7:10 pm

To switch off the service light in your MK6 or MK7 Transit:

1. Service it
2. Switch on ignition but don't start engine
3. Press Down Brake pedal and Throttle pedal fully, and hold till service light flashes this may take up to a minute, but usually about 15 seconds
4. Switch off igniton

Job Done

On a MK 7 the service light is a picture of a Spanner

On a MK 6 the service light is a picture of a Spanner and an oil can
ake
Site Moderator

Postby ake » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:27 am

Just to add to the above, Make sure the bonnet and doors are shut when turning off the service light. Thanks to Coconut
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Ted Mullins » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks All, Job Done. Shut the doors, Turn the ignition on and press both the accelerator and brake pedal. The service screen now reads 'Resetting the Oil Service' wait 30 seconds with the pedals pressed and it reads 'Re-set the Oil Service'. Walk away and make sure Ford changed the oil at the last service.

Thanks again

Happy New Year
Ted Mullins

Postby ZIGSTAR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:44 pm

is this the oil light witht the spanner next to it? as ive just done a oil and filter change , realised i was 0.5 litre light afeter a 120 mile run , and next day my spanner /oil light came on and stays on even after its got 6.5 litres in it? how do i get this light to stay off as its def got correct level?
ZIGSTAR
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Yes the oil light is the can and spanner, you need to turn it off as detailed above
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby ZIGSTAR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 pm

good thanks for that ,
ZIGSTAR
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Grimly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:06 am

Just to add to the confusion, the handbook told me to press down the brake and clutch pedal - of course, it didn't work.
Grimly
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby joe99 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:36 am

ake wrote:Yes the oil light is the can and spanner, you need to turn it off as detailed above

Hi ake
Just so there is no confusion, are you referring to a single light or to two separate lights?

On my vehicle I have a spanner light located at lower left and a dripping oil can at the lower right of the rev counter.

I believe the spanner is controlled by odometer value and the oil can by pressure.

Does the system also sense oil level or does it rely on the fact that if the level is too low, pressure will also drop before any damage is done?

Does the two lights coming on together have any special meaning?

I am also still unclear on whether the spanner light is related to oil quality (my owners handbook refers to it indicating excessive soot and sludge in the oil). I do have a small green plastic connector located neat the drivers side engine mount.

thanks

joe99
joe99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sun May 16, 2010 6:26 pm

joe99 wrote:
ake wrote:Yes the oil light is the can and spanner, you need to turn it off as detailed above

Hi ake
Just so there is no confusion, are you referring to a single light or to two separate lights?

On my vehicle I have a spanner light located at lower left and a dripping oil can at the lower right of the rev counter.

I believe the spanner is controlled by odometer value and the oil can by pressure.

Does the system also sense oil level or does it rely on the fact that if the level is too low, pressure will also drop before any damage is done?

Does the two lights coming on together have any special meaning?

I am also still unclear on whether the spanner light is related to oil quality (my owners handbook refers to it indicating excessive soot and sludge in the oil). I do have a small green plastic connector located neat the drivers side engine mount.

thanks

joe99

On a MK7 the service light is a Spanner
On a MK6 the service light is a Spanner beside an oil can (Single light)

On Mk6 the service light is controlled by the ecu based on distance travelled, On most MK7 the same applies, Except on RWD 2.4 140PS and RWD 3.2 200PS which also use oil quality sensors to bring on the service light.

The oil can light is Oil Pressure and if your oil level is low enough to make it come on then the damage to your engine is probably already done
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Guy88 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:29 pm

just to add to this the high speck MK7 dash, (with trip computer controls on indicator stalk) comes up with the orange warning and says "Service oil now" no service light comes on
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby Roady » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:34 pm

What are the consequences if doors/bonnet are not shut then?
Roady

Postby ake » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:27 pm

Roady wrote:What are the consequences if doors/bonnet are not shut then?

It may not reset
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Bob B » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks guys helped me out here too..

Bought my Mk7 130ps Jan 2011, only done 2000 ml since major service Nov 2010(main dealer), and oil service light flashed up.

Reset using the info above.. Job done:-)

Will be giving it an oil change very soon though.

Thanks to all.
Bob B

Postby taz666 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Oil Change Indicator Reset Transit 2006.5 (04/2006-)
Turn the ignition key to position II without cranking the engine.
Simultaneously press and hold the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal for approximately 15 seconds until the oil change reminder indicator starts to flash or the "Service Oil Reset Complete" message appears in the information and message center (if equipped).
Release the pedals.
Check that the oil change reminder indicator has turned off or that there is no "Service Oil" message in the information and message center (if equipped). If the oil change reminder indicator is still illuminated or the "Service Oil" message is still displayed, turn the ignition key to position 0 and repeat the procedure from Step 1. If it has turned off or the "Service Oil" message has disappeared, proceed to Step 5.
Turn the ignition key to position 0 and leave it there for at least 2 minutes so that the powertrain control module (PCM) fully powers down and updates the non-volatile memory (NVM) in the PCM.
Turn the ignition key to position II without cranking the engine and check that the oil change reminder indicator is not illuminated or that there is no "Service Oil" message displayed.
Turn the ignition key to position 0.
taz666
Ford Technician

Next

Return to Frequently asked questions!!