*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK 6) Broken/Burnt Wire at Fusebox/Jumpstart point

Before you ask a question, check to see if it's been asked before. We show all the common Transit faults here and it's a good idea to read through these in case they happen to you in the future!!

MK 6) Broken/Burnt Wire at Fusebox/Jumpstart point

Postby denmo2705 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Mk6 2.4 2002.

A small wire from the positive cable terminal box / + jump start (next to the engine compartment fuse box) to the main fuse box has broken.
Does anyone know what this wire is connected to? The dashboard battery light is on when the engine is running and the battery is not charging. Are the two related? Everything else seems OK.
denmo2705

Re: Broken Wire anything to do with battery light?

Postby 75psT330lwb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:09 pm

for glowplugs. 100% not needed so dont bother trying to reconnect it as it will just blow again. look at three pin plug on alternator and check it give it a wiggle. usually middle wire thats faulty :wink:
Moondust Silver 125 TDCiT260. Lots of toys (The Flying Machine!)
75psT330lwb
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby denmo2705 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Cheers for that info. Think i need a new alternator.
denmo2705

Postby winterheating » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Quite a few people lately have noticed the fuse for glowplugs has gone, wonder how many more people have broken wires, without knowing about it?? And think that the glowplugs are needed to start a direct injected diesel engine.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby APH » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:53 pm

winterheating wrote:Quite a few people lately have noticed the fuse for glowplugs has gone, wonder how many more people have broken wires, without knowing about it?? And think that the glowplugs are needed to start a direct injected diesel engine.

This brings about another question thats bugged me for several years........WHY didn't ford put a maxi fuse in the engine fusebox for the glowplugs?, ok uing a fusible link is just as good, but far more noticeable when blown and confusing / worrying to people who don't know what it is. Chances are they'd never know anything was wrong with them if it was a blown fuse instead, and certainly wouldn't keep asking on here about it!! I'm getting rather tired, (as others must be) of typing the same response about a "broken / burnt out wire next to jump start point possibly being the cause of all my troubles" lol :lol: :roll:

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Broken/Burnt Wire at Fusebox/Jumpstart point MK6

Postby 247russ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:47 pm

I found this post and thought I'd solved my problem...but not so lucky, the same wire on my transit has burnt through just as it comes out of the jump start point. I started to drive and the van just conked out, I smelt burning and the said wire was smoking like a good 'en. Know the van won't start (just turns over) if I try to connect the wire it just starts to burn again when I try and start the engine.......any suggestions please?
247russ

Re: Broken/Burnt Wire at Fusebox/Jumpstart point MK6

Postby DEAN MACHINE » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:31 pm

[quote="247russ"]I found this post and thought I'd solved my problem...but not so lucky, the same wire on my transit has burnt through just as it comes out of the jump start point. I started to drive and the van just conked out, I smelt burning and the said wire was smoking like a good 'en. Know the van won't start (just turns over) if I try to connect the wire it just starts to burn again when I try and start the engine.......any suggestions please?[/quote]
the wire burnt out and your van cutting out and not starting i dont think are connected ,the fuse wire is just to glow plugs ,a 2.4 will start without glow plugs and a warm engine dosent need them either,and when the wire burns out the van shouldnt cut out unless its burnt through something else
DEAN MACHINE
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Frequently asked questions!!